Chapter 9

TW: Mentions of eating disorders and self harm/suicide

Madelyn's POV: 

I awoke in the morning to Chase stroking my hair.

"You look beautiful, like a sleeping beauty," he said. I smiled.

"You're too nice." I said

"No, I mean it, you look really perfect," he added.

"Thank you," I said.

We kissed.

"Can I?" I asked.

"Yes," he replied.

I moved my hand down his boxers as Chase exhaled loudly. We kissed more which turned into a make-out.

"Oh shit! What time is it?" I asked sitting up quickly.

"9:30, why?" he asked.

"I have to be at therapy in 15 minutes. I'll see you later. Let's finish this after, ok?" I said with a wink.

I was nervous about my therapy session again. I was really emotional last time. The sessions felt short. How was I supposed to talk about everything in 50 minutes?

"Maddie!" Ruby says. "It's nice to see you. It seems your surgery went well."

"Hey, it was fine, my face is still a little swollen." I added self-conciously.

I sat down on the sofa and played with a small Rubiks cube that was lying on the table.

"Are you feeling better? You were very emotional last time." Ruby asked.

"I'm not sure, we still have a lot of stuff to talk about," I added.

"Well, that's what I'm here for. What did you want to start with?" Ruby said.

"I've felt the need to purge again after eating," I said. "I haven't felt that way since college."

"Is it because of the comments online?" said Ruby.

"I guess that's what triggered it. But there's been a lot going on, maybe it's a combination of everything, all the stress." I said.

"Have you told Chase?" she asked.

I shook my head.

"I told him about what happened in the past but not about right now," I said.

"Why's that?" she added.

"I guess I'm ashamed," I began, "I don't want him to think of me as difficult. I don't want to scare him off, he's a good guy." I said.

"Besides the cutting I-" Ruby cut me off before I could finish.

"Cutting?" She said worriedly. "Have you been cutting, Maddie?"

"Um," I said not meaning to blurt that out.

"Maddie, I get that it's a hard thing to talk about, but if you're hurting yourself or are in danger, I'm required to do something about it. Can you show me where you've been harming yourself?" Ruby asked making her way over to the sofa to sit next to me.

"Uh, no that's not what I meant. I'm not cutting." I replied with an uncomfortable giggle hoping she would forget that I said what I said.

"Maddie, you don't need to lie to me. I'm here to help you." Ruby said as she grabbed the box of tissues like she was expecting me to cry. "Your wrists? Thighs? Where?" she asked.