Chapter 13

TW: Mentions of self harm

Madelyn's POV:

"Good morning sleepy head." I said. Chase slowly opened his eyes from his hospital bed. He looked terrible. His eyes were blood shot and his hair was in frizzy knots.

"How are you feeling?" I asked.

"Disgusting," He responded.

"Any pain?" I asked pointing to his bandaged stomach.

"Not yet, knock on wood." Chase responded.

I quietly laughed.

"What happened to you?" Chase asked pointing to my face.

"What?" I said wondering what he was looking at. I looked in the mirror and saw dark black streaks of mascara all over my face.

"Shit," I muttered while quickly wiping my face.

"Were you crying?" He asked squinting from the light of the sunrise beaming through the window.

"Yeah, obviously," I said sarcastically. "I was worried, I really care about you and I love you so much. It sucks to see you like this." I said.

He patted his leg motioning me to join him on the bed. I walked over.

"C'mon, hurry up," He said, "Mamma Mia is on."

I squealed. Chase hated Mamma Mia but knew it was my favorite movie.

"Will you actually watch it this time?" I teased.

"Don't know, still pretty drugged up." He said laughing.

I had borrowed a phone charger from Chase's nurse. It slowly began to regain power and turn back on when I realized I had hundreds of text messages and calls. I read some of them.

"Holy shit. Is Chase ok? How are you feeling babe? You guys should both get some rest. I love you." -Madison

"Damn, y'all are John B and Sarah in real life, always getting hurt. Call us when Chase is out of surgery" -Rudy

"Did everything go ok? You two are both very brave. Call if you need anything!" -Jonas

"Hi honey, Dad and I heard about Chase from Madison. How did the surgery go? I remember when Dad had appendicitis, it was scary but he was up and running within a few days! I dropped off some goodies at your apartment. Get some sleep. Love you lots." -Mom

After a few hours, Chase was given more medication and we were allowed to go.

"Let's get you home," I said, "A nice shower and cozy bed is waiting for you."

"Heyyy! I don't smell that bad!" He joked.

When we arrived home, I noticed some homemade banana bread and sweet tea that my mom made as well as a note on the counter. "Feel better soon, Chase! xoxo -Pam" it said.

"Maddie?" Chase said, "I might need some help in the shower."

"Yeah of course, I'll be right there." I responded.

I helped Chase undress and held his arm as he slowly wobbled into the shower.

"Mads, you'll get wet." Chase said pointing to my already damp shirt.

"Is it ok if I come in with you? You need some help and I also need a shower." I asked hesitantly.

"Yeah. Take off your shirt silly, it's getting wet." He said laughing.

He began to lift my shirt up but I stopped him before my arms were exposed, forgetting what I had done for a second.

"What's wrong?" He said. "You're getting all wet."