017

Aurelia had never been to a funeral before

Aurelia had never been to a funeral before. Even though her parents and James were dead, she never got the chance to properly pay her respects. Dressed in all black, she never felt so...empty.

She had the power to heal people. To cure any sickness or injury. She should've been able to save Neal. Seeing everyone around her, in tears, as they took their turn to shovel dirt atop his coffin she felt guilty.

She felt as though maybe if she was stronger she could've helped him. Saved his life. Save Emma from losing the man she loved. And Henry from losing his father.

After the funeral proceedings when everyone decided to head to Granny's for the wake, Aurelia found herself sitting in a booth alone, anxiously tapping her fingers against the table.

"Your lips going to bleed if you keep biting it like that," Hook said, as he sat across from her.

"Habit, I guess" she shrugged, giving him a sad smile. "How are you doing?" he asked.

"I think I'm supposed to be asking you that," she told him.

"I'll be alright. I have...experience with loss" he said. Aurelia looked at him, grabbing his hand across the table.

"I'm sorry. Do you want to talk about it?" she asked. Hook shook his head, glancing down at their intertwined hands before looking back at her.

"But honestly. How are you? You looked deep in thought before I came over" he said.

Aurelia shrugged, unconsciously biting her lip again. "I just...I feel guilty I guess" she said.

"About what?"

"Not being able to help Neal. To save him. What good is this...power if I can't use it when it really matters?" she asked.

"What you have, your gift, it's not something you should also burden yourself with. You can help save people when they can be saved. Sometimes...sometimes fate takes over and there's nothing anyone can do about it" he told her.

Before she could say anything, Emma walked over to them. "Hey, uh, Hook do you think you can talk to Henry about Neal?" she asked.

"What about him?" he asked.

"Well, I...as far as Henry's concerned I haven't seen Neal since he let me go to jail. If I try to say anything about his dad being a hero he's gonna think I'm making it up so he'll feel better" Emma said.

"But I knew Bae as a boy," Hook said, realizing why she wanted him to talk to him. He glanced over at Aurelia as if he didn't want to leave her alone.

"Go," she said. "Henry lost his father, he needs someone to talk to more than I do. I'll be fine" she said.

"Are you sure?" he asked. "Promise" she nodded.

Hook gave her a smile, squeezing her hand before he stood up and walked over to Henry. "Are you okay?" Emma asked her.