Chapter 8 :Gaining Friends

Ling Wei saw some children watching them with excitement so she suggested

"brother let them try! teach them how"

the brothers look at her in surprise, but Ling Wei just urges them.

she cannot blame them though!

the 'real' Ling Wei hates these poor and dirty children.

"Ping San wa!Du Er wa! come! my brother and I will teach you!"

Ling Han grinningly called his friends, the two boys with his age come running to them,

Ling Han called the others so all of the boys come to them

"Ling Wei! c-can we also join?"

one of the girls asks everybody in the village that the Ling family will follow whatever Ling Wei says.

Ling Wei look at the 3 girls almost same her age and smile

"yes! go on and join! but I suggest that we should just stand aside and let the boys do the job, we will just help them put the fish in the basket"

the girl was relieved and decided to follow her.

after a while, there is a peal of laughter and giggles from children that can be heard in the river.

when they felt they already catch enough, Ling Han share the fish with everyone.

he gave the children 2 each and he only take 5 for them.

they only catch the big ones and return the smaller so 5 are already enough for their whole family.

The children happily took the fish back but the girls stop and look at Ling Wei,

Ling Wei smile and said

"When you guys go up the mountain bring me along! I want to know about wild edible vegetables"

the girl smile brightly then nod their head and promised her.

"my little sister has grown up"

Ling Bin teased that makes Ling Wei giggle

"I never noticed before that the girls in our village are cute"

Ling Bin chuckled and pat her head lovingly.

he is only 10 but he acts like he is more than 10.

Ling Wei grumbles to herself.

Cheng Waner and Ding Cui was shocked to see 5 huge fishes in the basket

"sister taught us how to easily catch a fish! mother, we caught a lot and give the other kids as well!"

Ling, He said proudly

"sister is amazing!"

Ding Cui looks at her granddaughter with shining eyes

"you take from your grandmother! smart"

Cheng Waner laughs at her mother-in-law and looks at her daughter appreciatingly.

Ling Wei scratches her nose in embarrassment.

maybe if she is from this era, she is clueless too but sadly, her modern knowledge is her biggest cheat so she is not that smart.

"sister made friends! she becomes friends with Mumu, Sisi, and Nini!"

Ling Han didn't forget to add

"How are they?"

Cheng Waner asks worriedly, she wants her daughter to make friends! she is only 8 and friends are important for her age.

"we promised upon going up the mountain to pick wild vegetables"

Ling Wei said sheepishly

"These little girls are kind and lovely! my granddaughter's eyes are discerning"

Ding Cui said proudly that make the whole house laugh.

the next day three girls come knocking on their house early morning.

"you are here! wait a moment I will fetch a basket"

Ling Wei hurriedly said when she saw the 3 girls at the door.

Ling Han wanted to come but his mother strongly decline his suggestion

"let your sister go with her friends, if you go with them, you might steal her attention"

in the end, Ling Wei, Ping Mu, Fu Si, and Lu Nini climb the mountain.

Ping Mu is the oldest of them, she is 10, but because the village is poor and life is hard so she looks smaller, she is shy and sweet.

Fu Si is 8, she acts like a boy and is talkative but not offensive.

Lu Nini is 9, she is straightforward and honest.

while climbing up, they talked and laugh a lot.

when they enter the mountain, Ling Wei's friends started pointing out the wild edible vegetables.

Ling Wei is amazed!

she turned 17 in her last life but, she will be only familiar with vegetables if it's already on the plate, waiting for her to eat.

while picking vegetables, Ling Wei keep looking around she saw animal bones.

she pick it up and studied it.

it seems like it was a long time ago, she squints her eyes, thinking about something

she saw animal hides in their home the other day, she remember that her father and grandfather are hunters before entering the military to join the war.

she has an idea and then hurriedly hides the bone.

Ling Wei pick a lot and told her friends to do the same as well.

they can plant it in their yard.

then Fu Si climbs up the trees to search for a bird's nest to steal eggs.

they are lucky because she found 2 nests with eggs in them.

she took 3 in each, and she want to give them away but Ling Wei insist on only taking one and so did the other girls.

so Fu Si has 3 and 1 of her friends.

they arrived back at the village before lunch.

although summer is almost done, the heat is still too much for Ling Wei so she still sweated a lot.

after taking a comfortable bath, she helps her mother prepare their lunch while retelling the event earlier.

Cheng Waner listens intently and sometimes asks.

Ding Cui enter the kitchen before Cheng Waner is done cooking, she look at her granddaughter and frown worriedly

"Although still summer the winter is about to start, be careful catching a cold"

Ling Wei touch her still-wet hair and act cute

"grandma, because we climb the mountain and I sweated a lot so I bathe! I promise I will be careful next time! you know I hate the medicine the most right?"

Ding Cui laugh helplessly at her granddaughter's cute acting so she let her be but still gently remind her.

"How was your walk with your new friends?"

she asked, later on, so Ling Wei again retold the story about her outing.