Chapter 21

Ling Wei is down for more than a week.

she felt suffocated and guilty, she wants to say to anyone her worries but she cannot.

for now, Ling Bin's entering the soldier camp is a secret.

she felt guilty because she is lying to her family, she cannot look into her mother and grandmother's eyes, afraid that they will notice something amiss.

she is thankful because, after a week, their shop is finally open, so most of her time is inside her workroom making wicker baskets and embroidery bags.

the wicker baskets are for eggs, the bags are for dried foods.

her mother is also successful in her dried meats and fish.

next time, she will ask them to make some jerky.

her mother is really genius at making food, she just casually said about the vegetables and now she already learn to dry meats.

she is sure that once she gave her some idea, her mother will surely make it.

after a month of keeps on researching, they finally made their first flavored tea!

but they still didn't sell it in public, they want to make more and sell it in the capital.

they earned a lot for their first month from their shop, including the rent and the 1000 gold taels, they now have 2000, but according to Shu Qi, this is more than enough to buy a large shop and courtyard.

But Ling Wei still want to earn more, there is a huge difference between the capital and the province so she wants to make sure that her family will live a comfortable life in the capital.

but Ling Wei already asks Shu Qi to find a large shop for them.

they already owned an ox cart, the chickens are already laying eggs, and the pigs are just a few months away to be slaughtered.

they are planning to expand their animal farm after the first batch of pigs.

Ling Wei hadn't succeeded in her soap-making which makes her disheartened.

It's been half a year now!

she even bought a lot of coconuts, tried making coconut milk but ended up making coconut oil.

she failed a lot of times which makes her want to give up, but every time she take a bath, she still feels weird without soap and shampoo.

but unexpectedly, she instead discovers the art of candle making!

the whole family is staring intently at the burning candle in the middle of the dining table.

"compare to the oil lamps who are very expensive, this candle is more cheap and easy to make!"

Ling Wei excitedly said, in that era, they only use oil lamps, and for sure, the useless Ling Wei didn't know what kind of oil they are using for these oil lamps, so they have to buy them.

she heard that they still have to buy it from the neighboring country!

"sister you are really amazing! we can save a lot of money now and we don't have to have to fumble around when we need to use the toilet at night!"

Ling He said happily, that everybody agrees!

"Tomorrow we will make some more! we will make as more as we can! there are a lot of ingredients in my work room so for sure we will make a lot!"

so that night, the whole family stare at the burning candle until it melts!

after 3 months, Ling Bin finally sent a letter, and it was Shu Qi himself who delivers it to their shop.

Ling Wei was glad that she came to help that day, if not, she shiver imagining, what will happen next.

"master, can we discuss something?"

Ling Wei asks the old man, Shu Qi's eyes shine brightly

"little girl, do you made something amazing again?"

Ling Wei scratch her nose and lead him inside the shop,

"master look at this"

Shu Qi look at the small jar in her hand, there is a white unknown thing inside and a wick on top?

"This is?"

He asks confused, Ling Wei smile mysteriously then lights the candle.

Shu Qi's eyes widen

"this is an oil lamp?!"

Ling Wei giggle

"silly master! it is not! this is a candle! this is much better than the oil lamps we are using! and this is very cheap! master what do you think?"

Shu Qi keeps on staring at the burning candle in trance

"master?"

"master?"

"MASTER!?"

"what?"

he ask after woken up from his trance, so Long Wei explain again

"little girl! the deities really sent you to improve our country!"

he exclaims loudly

"master please keep it down!"

Shu Qi shut his mouth and nod like a chicken eating

"Master, this is the book of the candle procedure! everything is in there! the ingredients and the procedure are all in there, I also draw everything so it won't be confusing. master, please take it, my only request is please only you and the emperor should know this! i just want a little protection for my brother! I don't need any payment, don't give him any special attention but just small protection is enough"

Shu Qi look at the girl with complicated eyes.

she didn't know that this is a huge thing! the oil they are using in the oil lamps is really expensive so only the rich can own it!

but now, if this is really cheap and easy to make, this will greatly improve their country! and they can even sell it from a neighboring country! they will earn a lot!

"little girl, don't worry about your brother! he is safe and someone is already looking out for him, so that request is unneeded! so about your reward, I cannot decide about it! only the emperor will decide, but don't worry! I swear upon my name that I will tell this only to the emperor and I will ask him to keep it a secret as well"

Ling Wei is finally relieved to hear this.

"than master please be careful on your way!"

Shu Qi is very excited so after bidding farewell he left.

Ling Wei hid the letter and plan to read it when she is alone.

she plans on sending her two brothers to the academy next semester, and there are still 6 months.

she knows that sooner or later, her family will know about Ling Bin, so she didn't plan to hide it for long, but not too short.

so the new semester is her only option.