Under the stars

~SADIES POV~

After the first difficult day of school, I sighed and collapsed on Maya's couch.

"Tomato, what's wrong?" she yelled from the kitchen. It's like she could hear my exhaustion from the other room.

"Did you know that stopping running and talking to Finn during P. E. means Mr. Phillip can send me to run 3 more laps?"

"Did you know messing around in class has consequences?" she said sarcastically, walking into the room with two steaming hot mugs, and two forks in her hands.

"And you actually rarely mix chemicals in chemistry. That shit only happens in movies!"

"It's not like you would've known what chemicals to mix, anyway. You would've accidentally made meth and broken one of the Duffer's rules on the first day." she set down the mugs, and I saw they had noodles in them.

"Ooh, yum." I said, grabbing a mug and a fork.

"So, spill."

"What?" I asked, fork in mouth. "I can't spill these noodles on this couch-"

"You know what I mean. According to my calculations, you got here like, an hour late. What happened?"

I nearly choked, but managed to swallow the noodles down. "Uh... traffic?"

"Don't lie to me, there was barely any traffic today! Where were you?"

"Nowhere." Making out with Millie under the bleachers like an actual fucking teenager. "We all just left school late?"

She folded her arms and glared at me. I tried looking anywhere except her face and played with my hands in my lap.

Suddenly her phone started rapidly beeping. We both looked at the phone on the table, but she grabbed it and hid it behind her back before I could read who called her. "You know what, I'll take that answer. I actually randomly got scared that you were late because you and Millie did something I don't want to know about." she said, leaving the room.

I narrowed my eyes and glared at her, cross armed like how she did a second ago. "Who's calling you? A new girlfriend that you're not telling me about?"

"Um, no. Not a girlfriend. Deffo not. Like, no. I mean, ew! How could I be dating an ogre like this person! It's... you know... my sister! Yeah, her." she said awkwardly.

"You don't have a sister!" I took a second to think about who it could be. Then my eyes widened in surprise as I realised who it might be. "Natali-"

"Hello? Um, yes.... No... I'm with.... I'm babysitting my friend's annoying teenager." she said into the phone.

I crossed my arms and pouted like a toddler. She called me annoying! Who even is that? Is it Natalia? I have this strong feeling she's not entirely straight. I mean, she is with Charlie. But Millie was with Jake and everyone thought Millie was straight.

I start wondering whether Maya feels like how I did when I still had a crush on Millie. But Natalia seems actually happy with Charlie. But then again, even Millie seemed actually happy with Jake.

What if Millie was happy with Jake? What if she loved him, but she also loved me, but she chose me anyway? What if she still loves Jake?

What if she says she loves me, but can easily fall in love with someone else?

Wait, she's never actually said I love you before.

I started to feel bad for Jake. If he actually loved Millie the way I do right now, he must be depressed. I knew I'd be depressed. Hell, I'd try and off myself by now.

I tried to imagine what would happen if I were to cheat on Millie. If she hasn't said 'I love you' yet, does that mean cheating wouldn't affect her?

Wait, why am I even thinking about that?

Maya walked back into the room, flushed and smiling uncontrollably.

"Maya," I started talking without control. "hypothetically, what would happen if I cheated on Millie?"

"Um... you'd get dumped and kill yourself out of depression."

I widened my eyes at how filterless Maya's answer was. "Ah, cool."

"Yup. Cool. Don't cheat on your sweet little girlfriend, though." she said.

"Wasn't planning on it."

-------------------------

After leaving Maya's place, I ended up driving to Millie's place.

We hung out, talking about literally anything and everything we could think of. After a while, we decided to get a box of pizza and somehow I ended up parking my car up on a hill where we lay on the grass, staring up at the night sky.

"Oh my god, look at those stars." she said pointing to a specific patch on the left. "It kind of looks like a spider!"

"That one's sort of in the shape of a cloud." I said, pointing to stars that were the opposite side that Millie was pointing in. "And it looks like the cloud has a smiley face." I added.

She giggled and so did I. I stared up at the millions of stars up in the sky, trying to find a new shape to tell Millie about. All the stars had no pattern, just a free way of sitting across the sky. They were bright and pretty and made me think of the blinding lights when I first saw New York a few years ago.

When I turned to look at Millie and share my thoughts with her, I saw she was already staring at me.

She quickly turned her eyes back to the sky, going red after I caught her staring. Her gaze quickly flickered to me and a small smile threatened to creep up onto her face.

I grinned and turned back to look at the stars again.

"Your eyes look pretty in the moonlight." Millie said, not taking her eyes off the sky. I, however, turned to her, my face probably a deep shade of scarlet.

When she didn't say anything more, I said "You look pretty all the time."

This time, she looked at me and I looked at her. sat up and stared back at the stars.

"Sadie," she said, also sitting up. "You never said whether I was actually your girlfriend girlfriend or not."

I considered what to say next. "Do you want to be my girlfriend girlfriend?"

"Only if you want me to be you girlfriend girlfriend."

I lifted her chin, making her look up at me. "I do want you to be my girlfriend girlfriend."

"Then it's settled." she said, bringing her face closer to mine, so I could kiss her lips. I did and she shuffled closer to me and I shuffled closer to her. I felt her hand on my waist, which made my heart beat a little faster.

I love how easily she can take my breath away.

-------------

A/N

A few chapters ago I gave Sadie this random family trauma (d3ad mom, etc) and I totally forgot about it.

SOOO, I'm gonna use that later on, so don't forget it!