fruits with faces

~SADIES POV~

Caleb told me to meet him backstage in the Drama room.

He walked in, wheeling in some cage that was covered in a black blanket.

"I present to you," he started, holding on to the blanket, probably preparing to dramatically rip it off. "Drumroll, please..." with one swift pull, he revealed the animal in the cage, leaving me absolutely speechless. "...Olivia!"

"Caleb..." God, I hate him. "What the hell?"

"What? You don't like Olivia?"

"You said your friend had an Irish setter!"

"Well, Olivia basically is and Irish setter, if you look at her from the left-"

"Caleb, she's an orangutan!"

The animal un the cage was a dark orange, almost brown. A lot less small than I would've thought, so I assumed she was a baby. She had her foot in her mouth and was backed up against the cage, looking a little terrified of the world around her.

"You've done a lot of stupid shit in your life, but this..."

"Hey, sorry for monkeying around-"

I shot him a look before he could even laugh at the bad joke he made.

"Where did you even find her?" I asked.

"Gaten said he knew a guy and I didn't ask any questions."

"I think you trust Gaten too much."

"We all trust Gaten too much."

"Fair."

I ran my fingers over the wires of the cage. Okay, let's get this straight: I am 22 years old, still in school, one of my closest friends, basically my brother, just gave me an orangutan and now I'm touching a cage with an orangutan in front of a cardboard cutout of a christmas tree behind a stage.

How and when did I end up like this?

"Welp," he turned around. "I better get going. Good luck, Sabrina."

"Wait, what? What am I supposed to do?"

"Figure it out, chica con pelo rojo."

"I don't know what that means!"

"Doesnt matter..." he said, halfway out the door.

"Come on! Don't leave me like this!"

I turned back to Olivia.

"Fuck..."

She took her foot out of her mouth. She seemed more entertained when I was fully prepared for a mental breakdown.

"You think that's funny? Well do you know what's not funny? Deforestation."

This made her put her foot back in her mouth.

I picked up the blanket on the floor and covered the cage again.

"Okay, uhhhh... I should probably..."

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard someone walk into the Drama Room.

Hide it.

I quickly threw the blanket over the cage and wheeled it to the other end of the room. It hit the wall with a loud noise, making the animal inside grunt, but I tried my level best to ignore it as someone had just walked in.

It was Tristen McAddams and some girl.

He stopped when he saw me. "Uh... hey?"

"Hey." God, this is already awkward.