Tension (is building)

~MILLIES POV~

"What?" Noah asked, noticing how surprised I seemed, staring at my phone screen.

"This is... Sadie's dad?"

How do I react to that?

Now a new pile of questions appeared: Why isn't she answering him? Why does he keep texting her? Why won't she talk to him? Does she hate him? If so, what made her hate him so much?

Sadie doesn't talk about her family often. All I know is that she's really close with her brothers, Mitchell and Caleb Sink. I know she has an older brother named Spencer. She doesn't talk about Spencer very often though...

If not for me, come for Spencer.

What does that mean?

How much is she hiding?

"Millie Bobby Brown, please head to the principal's office. It's very important." A voice, that I could only assume came from the school secretary, said. Is it just a coincidence that I got called right after I texted Sadie dad?

"What is happening and why do I suddenly feel unsafe?" Noah asked.

"I... don't know. Maybe I'm about to find out." I said and stood up, leaving Noah there behind me.

Mr Brightlys office was as lit up and happy as usual, with a new plant sitting by the window. However, unlike his bright office, his face looked grim.

"Why was I called?"

"Do you want to sit down?" He asked me, not answering my question. He pushed a bowl of toffees on his desk toward me. "Want one?"

Why is he being weird? "No, thanks."

He nodded and took two quick glances at his chair, like he was contemplating whether to sit or not. He stayed standing, behind his desk.

"Well, I'm not going to lie to you and say I have good news..."

Oh, fuck. I'm getting fired, aren't I?

"... its very unfortunate that this had to happen, especially since your career has been peaking since the release of your movie. Damsel, isn't it?"

"Yes." Crap, I'm getting fired. Is this because I skipped classes? Do the Duffers know I'm with Sadie and they're pissed I didn't tell them?

"It's a great movie. Really. But anyway, I should probably cut to the chase..."

I held my breath and braced myself. I'm pretty sure I can find another gig, right? Heartstopper is coming back for another season soon. Maybe I can find a role there?

"I've never had to tell a student this, but-"

"Am I getting fired?" I interrupted him, wanting to get it over with.

"What? No! God, no. The DBs would be making a mistake to fire you."

Phew.

"Its actually a little more deep than that." He set one hand on his desk. "Your brother wanted me to tell you that your sister, Paige? Yeah, she's gone missing."

What?

"What?" I asked, hoping I heard him wrong.

"Yeah. I know, it sounds horrible. But thats not the worst part. She was last seen with her boyfriend."

"Her boyfriend...? Doesnt-"

"Yes, his son, Tristen McAddams Jr goes to this school."

______________

~SADIES POV~

I decide to walk home after school. Noah told me that Millie was called to the office and since she hasn't been out yet, I assume she'll get home later. Why is she taking so long, anyway? Holy shit, what if its one of those movie moments where she's seducing the principal... that would actually lowkey be hilarious.

Caleb was sweet enough to walk me home. I think he feels bad for what happened earlier.

On the way out of the gates, Max catches up with us, stuffing books in her backpack.

"Do you guys mind if I walk with you?" She asked, out of breath.

"Sure." Caleb replied. "What's that?" He nodded at her full backpack.

"Uh... debate stuff, Shakespeare stuff, AP physics stuff, psychology stuff... the usual."

"I have a question;" I ask, closing one of her zippers, which was still open. "You like, never break character when we're in the middle of a scene, which is strange since you have a lot to do and you're busy like, all the time. When do you have time to memorise your lines?"

"I function in so much chaos, its insane."

My phone starts buzzing in my pocket. I glance at it, and see its an unsaved number. I don't have to pick it up to recognise who it is. I simply decline the call and put my phone on silent.

"You okay?" Caleb asks, nodding to my phone.

"Its just some fan, I think." I lie.

Now my phone starts dinging loudly with a whole bunch of messages rolling in.

"Sades, are you sure you're okay?" Max asks.

"I'm fine."

Max glances at Caleb, clearly unsure. I pretend not to notice.

"So..." Max starts. "PTM tomorrow. I'm sure my mom cares about nothing except my physics grades right now. What do you think the DBs are gonna say about skipping classes?"

"I'm just living by 'they probably didn't notice'." Caleb says. "What about you, Sadie?"

"If anyone asks, I was in the bathroom."

"I wanna say 'sounds like a great plan', but it doesn't sound like a great plan." Max says.

"What are the DBs going to do anyway? Fire me? They can't do that."

"Well..." says Max. "If they want to, they can cut down your salary."

"Then I'll quit. They need me for Stranger Things."

"Well..." Caleb says this time. "They already recorded your character waking up from her coma. If they wanted to, they could record the whole season except Max didn't wake up until the very end of the very last episode. Then, no elmax, no lumax fight, mileven is endgame and straight people are happy."

"Besides," Max adds in. "You already agreed to a 5-month contract like the rest of us. You're tied down to do whatever the Duffers say until September."

I shoot her a look.

She puts her hands up defensively. "Just saying. I read the terms and agreements before joining."

My phone starts vibrating again.

"Are you sure that isn't important?" Max asks, seriously.

I sigh and give in, taking my phone out.

???

Sadie this is really important

You can't miss such a special day for your brother

I know you're 'not on speaking terms' or whatever with all of us, but we want to fix it.

I want to fix it. I want to fix us.

Please come to Spencers wedding. Please.

I can't believe this guy. As if I'd ever talk to any of them after what happened.

"Like I said; not important. Noah was spamming me with cat memes because he thinks he's funny." I lie and it actually worries me how quickly I could come up with such a plausible excuse and play it off so naturally.

Max groans. "He did the exact thing to me yesterday. And it sucked because I was at a family dinner."