Eighteen ○ Box beside the door

6 Years Ago

It was rather a bright day today in Anyang as it snowed badly last night, and little Mingyu was more than excited to meet his cousin Jihoon hyung after a long time. It was winter holidays for both and they were ready to celebrate Christmas this year.

He thought the snowing won't stop, poor baby Mingyu stood awake the whole night praying and looking outside the window. Since he knew, if it doesn't stop, his cousin won't be able to come from Busan and he would definitely hate celebrating it alone.

He walked back and forth infront of his house, waiting for him as if Busan was as near as Seoul. His feet were freezing but little did he care.

"Mingyu-ya! Come inside. They will reach in the midnight." His mom shouted from the inside. Mingyu pouted in disappointment and stomped his way inside. Before he could close the door, a stone was thrown at the door hitting the wood. It looked like it wasn't thrown at him but to gain his attention.

Mingyu picked up the stone and looked outside the door. There was no one. He shrugged and closed the door again. He walked a few steps in and another stone was thrown at the door but this time it seemed like it was thrown from near.

Mingyu was scared now and didn't open the door for next few minutes. He unsurely got up and turned the knob slowly. He pulled the door and looked outside. There was no one yet again. He was about to close the again but his eyes fell on the box beside the door.

Mingyu picked up the box. It was wrapped in a doraemon patterned gift paper, which Mingyu tore apart, revealing a brown cardboard box.

He curiously opened the box to find a butterfly limping inside the box. It was half dead because of lack of oxygen and external injuries that Mingyu didn't know but he still cared to take it out of the box, keeping it in a jar that had enough holes to let the air inside.

The butterfly was trying to fly but it couldn't. He didn't what to do with. Also who left it at the door.

"Nabi-ya... lets wait for hyung to come home. Then we will think about you. Okay?" Mingyu talked to the butterfly. The lifeless being was fighting for his life.

Hours Later

It was past 9 now, and Mingyu was throwing tantrums at his mom that she lied his hyung would come. "He doesn't love him anymore.", he concluded and closed the door shut and cried on the bed till he fell asleep.

The morning sun rays fell from the corner of the tinted window that was left slightly open for Mingyu to wake up if any car stops by his house indicating Jihoon has come. But that didn't really happen.

The light woke him up. His face was as lifeless as it could be. He felt heavy today for some reason and didn't want to wake up from the bed.

He took his time to come out of the sleepy mode and tried to get up again. But still he felt heavy as if his bed didn't want to leave him. He tried to turn but was now locked somehow. Just then he realised, a hand was wrapped around his waist and a small boy with black silky hair was closely hugging him.

"Hyung!!!!" He exclaimed loudly waking Jihoon up.

"What..." He answered in a heavy sleepy voice.

"You came. You have no idea how much I waited for you!"

"Yet you fell asleep..." Jihoon said pouting. His eyes still closed.

"I didn't want to but I was awake a night before. The WHOLE NIGHT!!", he exaggerated his expression.

"What were you doing staying awake?" Jihoon asked while trying to get up from bed but eventually fell back on the bed.

"Looking at the weather for you. Ofcourse."

"You know, we heard some cries from the house across the street. The one big mansion is there. Felt like it was a child screaming in pain." Jihoon told him.

"Really? But they dont beat the owner's grandson ever. He is a prince of modern times."

"Anyways, lets go downstairs. Moms must've cooked something delicious for us."

"Yes!!"

They both ran downstairs smelling the hot and spicy tteokbeokki in the air, which made them jump on the table and ate like they've starved for years.