Chapter Twenty Three

'Love doesn't hurt you,a person who doesn't know how to love hurts you, don't get it twisted '

-Tony Gaskins

------------------------------------------------------------------

Lily's POV

Nothing else mattered in that moment. I just knew I had to get out of here. I couldn't say here any longer.

I ran back to my bedroom and grabbed a ruck sac from the closet. Quickly,I grabbed clothes and stuffed them into the bag.

I grabbed a few leftover pieces of food I had left earlier and packed them up, too. I could hear Xavier's footsteps as he ran towards my bedroom.

I knew I had to get out of here right now. Opening the window, I sat on the ledge and looked down at the ground below me.

The door slammed open to reveal my distraught looking mate. He stared at me, processing what was I about to do before realization dawned on him.

He stormed towards me,his teeth extending. Before he could reach me,I closed my eyes,took a deep breath, and jumped.

The air whooshed by me as I fell to the ground. I landed on a heap on the ground.

My back hurt from landing so hard, but I still stood up from the ground,the world around me spinning.

"Lily!"I stared up at Xavier,a desperate look in his eyes.

I turned back around and started running towards the border,my footsteps pounding on the floor.

I was instantly brought back to when I had escaped from my pack. It hadn't been easy, but still, I had managed to get past my old pack's border.

I could do the same thing now.

Go back,mate needs us

Lily please

My wolf kept whimpering in my head for me to turn back and go back to our mate, but I couldn't. He had hurt us enough times.

I had to keep reminding me and my wolf about that.

He didn't want us. He didn't care about us. He didn't love us.

I kept repeating those things to my wolf until she went silent. She knew I was right.

Multiple howls came from behind me, but still I continued to run,my legs pumping forwards faster.

It was now dark, and the moon was gleaming down on me in the sky. The stars shone brightly, and the gentle breezed whipped through the air.

Closing my eyes,I inhaled deeply, relishing in the night's beauty but also stopping me from letting the dam that kept my tears in from breaking.

And then I heard it.

An all too familiar growl from behind me. "Lily, come back!"Xavier yelled,but his voice was gruffer and deeper.

I knew it was his wolf that was talking to me. I ran faster, though. I had to get past the border.

The border came into my view,the borderline and the difference between my freedom and being trapped with my mate.

I looked back and saw Xavier's pleading face, but I could care less. I refused to be here any longer.

I leapt over the border,which separated the pack's territory from the vast land in front of me.

I heard my mate howl and I knew then I couldn't stop. I had to keep running, trying to get away from him.

I shifted into my wolf, fleeing into the night under the moon's watching eyes.

I was now a rogue wolf on the run from my mate.