Chapter Twenty Seven

27

'You can live your whole life not realizing
that what your looking for is right in front of you'

-David Nicolls

-------------------------------------------------------------

Xavier's Pov

The phrase 'you never know you've lost something until it's gone'is one I am familiar with.

I've heard it countless times,yet I never knew what it meant. It was only when Lily escaped that the  understanding of that phrase dawned on me.

I thought I had been doing her a favour by staying away from her,yet I hurt her instead.

I had the opposite effect on her.

Now, all I felt was rage. I was angry she had left me and managed to escape. I was angry at myself for letting my actions go as far as they did.

I was angry at Clarissa. I was used to her throwing herself at me. Before Lily came into my life,I revelled in having females willing to do anything to please me.

Yet when I saw Lily,old feelings about my old mate re-surfaced. Each time I saw Lily,I was reminded of my old mate.

I grew tired of Clarissa's pointless advances on me, and my thoughts were consumed by the one person I wanted to distance myself from.

I resented Lily for being my mate.

I knew it wasn't her fault, but I couldn't help but feel that way towards her. Now she's gone, though. I feel like a part of me is missing.

I stared at my now destroyed office. My desk was lying broken on the floor,splinters sticking into the walls and papers shredded all over the ground.

There was a knock at the door, and Thomas,my beta,walked into the room. His face remained passive.

He knew what I was capable of. What I had done to my office was just a mere figment of the amount of destruction I could cause.

"Have you found her yet?"I asked,a threatening growl in my voice.

My wolf was angry. He may have blamed me for our mate leaving,but he was even more fuming at Lily for running away.

"There have been no signs of her yet alpha,but there have been rumours about a girl from our pack who has been spotted near Xander's pack."Thomas said, bowing his head.

I growled in frustration. My clenched fist pounded into the wall loudly,a dent now in place where my fist had been.

How dare he?! How dare my brother take my mate from me!

"Gather the warriors. You will stay here and fill in me for me while I pay my brother a little visit and bring back what's mine."I announced.

The word 'brother' rolled off my tongue with venom. I hadn't used that word in many years.

Xander was not my brother. He was a traitor,a coward, and now he thinks he can just take my mate away from me.

Again.

Thomas nodded before striding out of the office. I picked up the only picture frame that wasn't smashed.

I couldn't bring myself to break it or tear the picture up,no matter how hard I tried to.

It was too precious for me to break. My finger traced the outline of my old mate's figure in the picture.

Lily reminded me of her so much.

I didn't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing.

The only thing I knew was that I wouldn't let history repeat itself.