Chapter Twenty five

'Why is it that no matter how hard I try,bad luck follows me everywhere'

-unknown

------------------------------------------------------------------

Lily's POV

When I was younger,a phrase I would hear often was,'Don't jinx it.'

People used to say in different contexts.

For example,the phrase is mainly used when someone is about to say something but gets interrupted by the person that they are talking to and are told to not finish their sentence because they may get jinxed if they do.

Then there is the word jinxed where some unsuspecting people are truly jinxed.

For example,me.

I keep getting myself into different dangers. Surely, by now,I had to have realized I truly was jinxed.

I definitely believed I was now.

Harry led me into the alpha's office. It was dark, and the pack house I had walked into felt empty.

It was eery, and I had a bad feeling in my aching stomach. Surely, if this was my mate's brother,Xavier knew by now where I was and is on his way.

"The alpha will be here shortly,"Harry said before closing the door.

The office was tidy but had no personal touches to it. In my father's office,he kept a picture of me,him,my grandmother, and my mother on his desk.

In here, though,it was bare. A few voices could be heard outside of the door, and a loud chuckle followed.

The door opened, and a large male entered the room. He seemed a little shorter than Xavier was but shared my mate's features.

He had Xavier's dark hair and well-built body. I noticed his sharp jaw, but what threw me off were his eyes.

His eyes were a dark brown,the darkest brown I had ever seen. It made it seem like he had black eyes.

As I stared harder into his eyes,I shivered. Xavier's eyes may have been an unmistakable red, but they held a certain beauty about them and a little bit of softness.

Yet as I stared into Xavier's brother's eyes,all I saw was pain and coldness. I had a bad feeling about this alpha, and I didn't like it all.

Xavier's brother sat down in the large chair opposite me. He stared at me,his gaze dark and calculative.

"How did my brother end up being mated to a pretty little thing like you?"he said,a growl at the end of his words.

He may have meant his words as a compliment, but I saw the meaning behind them.

I saw the jealousy and saw that he was taunting me with his words.

I shrunk further into the chair. I was now fully on my guard.

"How did you know I was his mate?"I asked him curiously,my voice surprising not wavering.

"Oh,I thought you knew? My brother's been going on large killing sprees, demanding the whereabouts of his mate, and then you turn up out of nowhere, claiming to be on the run from him. Too coincidental."he grinned.

I stilled at his words. I hadn't realized Xavier was going around killing innocent people.

I knew he would be angry about me leaving, but I didn't think he would care enough to go and start killing people.

Again,I had to remind myself he was the Red Blood Alpha.

He was cold-hearted and had gone on killing sprees before, that is why everyone feared him so much.

"You seem shocked. Surely you didn't think my brother would not be distraught with anger over his mate leaving?"he taunted me again.

Although this time,I saw him grow sad at his words.

"Although,what can I say? I thought the same thing, too. Until he -"he cut himself off.

My curiosity increased. I couldn't help myself and found myself asking,"Until he what?"

Xavier's brother stared at me,an unknown emotion in his eyes.

"Until he killed my mate right in front of me."