chapter sixty four

Lily's Pov

"I think that's the last thing,"I said,ticking the last thing off on my checklist.

Looking behind me,I quickly rushed over to Liam and Amanda,who were trying to hang up a huge banner that said 'congratulations, Elisa and Thomas' on it onto the wall.

"Shift it to the right a bit,no,the left. Almost straighten it a bit more,"I said,trying to get them to position the banner so it looked perfect.

Deciding I still wasn't sure about where the banner was hung up,I took Liam's place on the ladder.

"Are you sure you don't want me to hold the ladder?"Amanda offered, but I shrugged her off.

I started to readjust the banner,the ladder slightly swaying as I did so. When I was straightening the banner,I leaned forward too much, and I soon found myself falling off of the ladder.

When I was about to hit the floor,I was caught by the pair of strong,strirdy arms. "I got you,"the husky voice of my mate whispered into my ear.

I looked up at my mate as he held me tightly to his chest. "What were you doing on that ladder by yourself?"My mate questioned me,a stern tone in his voice.

I slightly quivered in his arms as his breath fanned the side of my neck. I attempted to get out of his arms,but he just held me tighter.

"Where do you think you're going,flower?"Xavier whispered,"And you still haven't answered my question."

"I was trying to make the banner look perfect,it wasn't positioned right."I told him,my body relaxed in his arms.

"I think it looked perfectly fine before. Don't let me catch you on that ladder by yourself again, okay? I don't want you getting hurt,"Xavier told me, and I nodded to ease his worry.

He had slept well last night, and he didn't seem to be as stressed out as he was before,but I still noticed that the crease on his forehead was still there.

He slowly let me down on the ground,his arms now snaking around my waist as he looked at the decorated room around us.

"What do you think?"I asked him as a long silence passed between us. I watched as Xavier's eyes travelled around the room,taking in all of the decorations.

I had tried to make the room look perfect for the party that was happening later on. I wanted everything to be perfect for Elisa. She deserved it,after all.

Besides, we all have had such a stressful time lately with the break-in and the threats that  the pack had been receiving.

I felt like we all just needed a break and a distraction from all of it,and I didn't want the party to be ruined for Elisa with everything that had happened.

"I think Elisa will love it,"Xavier reassured me as my doubts started to kick in as he didn't reply for a long time.

Liam ran over to us, balloons in his hands. "Where do you want these?"Liam asked, and I pointed to a nearby corner that was looking a bit empty of any decorations.

"I'm surprised you are helping out,Liam. I thought 'parties weren't cool now,'"Xavier quoted his brother, and Liam glared at his older brother.

Xavier just smirked at him, and I had to stifle a giggle at the brother's interaction with each other.

Xavier suddenly turned to look at the watch on his wrist,his face turning grim as he saw the time.  "I've got to go to a meeting now,flower. I'll see you later,though."Xavier said before pecking me on my lips and all but running out of the room.

He must have really been in a hurry.

"So parties aren't cool, huh?"I said,twisting around to tease Liam, who just glared at me.

I laughed as I continued to hang  the rest of the decorations...