Chapter Sixty one

Lily's Pov

I stared at my mate, not knowing what to say to him about what just happened.  What was there I could possibly say?

Clearly, whoever this enemy was,they meant business.

They weren't playing around,but I didn't know why they wanted me of all people. 

Xavier's chest was rising and falling, his breath ragged, and his eyes were slowly returning to their usual diluted red.

"Are you okay?"I find myself saying, making Xavier's eyes flash to me.

"What do you think,Lily?!No I am not okay,some stanger just tried to hurt my mate,someone else wants you and I don't even know who the sick cyco is! So,no, I am not okay!"Xavier snarled.

An awkward silence passed between us as my mate ran his fingers over and over through his hair, making the ends stick out.

I understood why my mate was so angry. Someone was making threats and were putting not only the pack in danger but also causing my mate to have to worry about me constantly.

It wasn't fair on him.

"I'm sorry,flower. I just need to get myself together."Xavier apologized, and I looked at him again.

"This is all my fault. This was supposed to be a happy day for you,where you could look back next year on your birthday and think of it as a happy occasion. If I hadn't left you alone, none of this would have happened,"Xavier explained, and I walked over to him,trying to avoid the shattered glass that was scattered everywhere.

"This is not your fault,Xavier. You didn't know this was going to happen,no one did. And I appreciate what you did today with throwing the party for me,"I tried to console him..

I grabbed onto his hand tightly in my right hand, my left hand reaching to cup his cheek.

"But, flower -"I cut him off by placing my lips over his in a gentle kiss. I tried to comfort him with the kiss,trying to get him to stop blaming himself for every unfortunate thing that happened.

"This isn't your fault, and while I might not think back to this birthday and remember it as a happy occasion, ar leady I can think of it is as a very eventful birthday,"I teased him as I slowly  pulled away from the kiss.

Xavier's once scrunched up eye brows now returned to normal as amusement flickered in his eyes.

"I guess you're right there,flower."Xavier chuckled before his face returned to its normal serious expression.

"But I still need to do something about this new enemy. From now on,you're not allowed out of my sight. Only when you're with Elisa or my family will you be allowed out of my sight,but you will have ten guards with you at all times,"Xavier stated and I took a step away from him.

I knew why he was worried about me, but I hated having guards follow me around everywhere I went. It made me feel like a caged animal.

I don't like feeling trapped at all, and having guards wouldn't help.

"Xavier, I-"I started, but Xavier glared at me,daring me to go against him.

"Fine,"I sighed before walking out of the room to me and Xavier's bedroom. I started getting ready for bed,taking my clothes off and replacing them with one of Xavier's shirts.

I huffed in frustration as I turned the light off and climbed into the bed,placing the covers over my body.

A few minutes passed, and I was still wide awake,staring at the ceiling when I heard my mate enter the room.

He went into the closet,coming out only in his grey sweatpants.  He climbed in beside me, and there was no movement for a couple of minutes before I was grabbed and pulled into Xavier's chest.

"You know I'm only trying to protect you,right?"Xavier whispered out into the darkness of the room.

"I know,"I spoke softly, and I meant what I said. I knew he was trying to protect, but that didn't mean I had to like what he would do to achieve that.

"I love you,"my mate whispered to me, and I fell asleep with the calming beating of my mate's heart lulling me to sleep.

"I love you too..."