Chapter Fourty one

41

it's better to face your demons instead of perpetually running away from them'

-Jessica Rothe

------------------------------------------------------------------

*a few moments before the previous chapter*

Xavier Red Blood's POV

My father followed me into my office,closing the door shut behind him. I took a seat at my desk, looking through the papers Thomas had given me.

I was still trying to find the person responsible for ordering the attack on my pack a few days ago.

Thomas had given me a list of everyone on the pack and where they had been that day, but so far,nothing had caught my eye that was suspicious.

My father stood in front of me,his hands tucked into his pockets. His eyes stared at me intensely,never wavering from direction.

My relationship with my father was tricky. We used to be very close with each other until my brother had interfered.

"So how are you finding having a second mate?"my father asked, breaking the awkward silence between us.

"Fine,"I answered him,my eyes never leaving the paper in front of me.

It was silent for a few more seconds before my father again spoke up. "Is your mate afraid of you?"My father pushed.

I looked up, meeting my father's taunting hazel eyes.

I knew what game he was playing. He was trying to test me, but I knew better than to fall into his trap.

I stayed silent as my father smirked,a knowing look on his face. "Oh come on, son, don't you think your mate has heard the rumours about you?"my father continued.

I gritted my teeth in anger,my nails digging into my wooden desk.

"Don't you think that your mate is afraid of you? Don't you think Lily is aware of what you are?"my father said,his voice getting louder with each word.

My claws were now extending,my anger starting to get the better of me as my father continued to test my patience.

"Don't you think your mate knows what a monster you are?!"my father yelled.

That's it.

I stood up from my chair, making it tumble onto the floor. My nails were gripping the desk tightly,as I tried to hold onto the last piece of self-control that I had.

"I knew you couldn't control yourself? I knew you would take having a second mate for granted!"my father screamed.

"What would Mirabella think-"I cut my father off as I grabbed the collar of his shirt and pulled him towards me.

"Don't you dare say her name!"I yelled before shoving my father to the floor.

Before I knew what I was doing,my extended claws came into contact with my father's cheek, sending him flying backwards into the wall.

Glass broke and came crashing onto the ground as my father came into contact with the mirror.

I opened my eyes to see my father on the ground,a deep cut on the side of his face. Blood trickled down from the cut as I paused and looked at myself in the nearby mirror that was now shattered,the glass pieces spread out on the floor.

My eyes were bright red,my reflection showing the beast in me I had tried so hard to conceal.

Them man I saw in the glass pieces was what I truly was.

A monster.

A beast.

Without any hesitation,I ran from the room. My wolf was now in control,as guilt flooded through me.

I knew my father loved me. His way of showing it ,though, was very different to how other parents would show their family that they love them.

My father had been trying to test me to see if I could not lose my temper and remain composed.

I had failed, though.

I ran out of the pack house and shifted into my large black wolf,my red eyes as blazing as ever.

I didn't stop running through the woods, trying to tune out my thoughts of guilt. When I was finally far enough from the pack,I stopped.

"Alpha, are you okay?"a voice said.

Without any hesitation, I lunged forward...