Chapter Thirty Eight

38

I never paint dreams or nightmares,I paint my own reality'

-Frida Kahlo

------------------------------------------------------------------

Lily's POv

I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of someone's grunts of pain. I knew it was Xavier.

I looked over at the clock beside me to see it was 3 am. I rubbed my tired eyes before slowly getting out of my bed.

I made my way out of the bedroom before walking towards my mate's bedroom,where the noises were coming from.

I readied myself before hesitantly opening the door to Xavier's room. I shut the door behind me with a creek before walking over to Xavier.

He laid sprawled out on the bed,his eyes closed, but I could tell he was having a nightmare from how much he kept rustling the bed sheets and kept squirming in his sleep.

I pulled out a nearby stool that was underneath a small desk in the corner of the room. I sat down on the stool beside Xavier's bed.

I hesitantly reached out and began to run my fingers over the creases on Xavier's forehead. As soon as I touched his skin, Xavier stopped moving and relaxed into my touch.

I ran my hands over his smooth skin before starting to play with his dark, thick hair. I ran my fingers through his dark strands, earning a sigh of relaxation from my mate.

I continued to play with Xavier's hair for while, enjoying the sight of my mate's calming face as he slept peacefully.

After a few more minutes,I stood up from the stool and was about to make my way out of the bedroom.

Before I could, though,I was pulled back onto the bed by Xavier. He was still sleeping soundly, but a frown was on his face.

He wrapped his arms me securely, tucking my back into his chest and placing his chin on top of my head. A soft sigh came from him.

I didn't want to disturb again, so I stayed where I was and soon found myself drifting off in my mate's arms.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up the next morning to an empty bed. Xavier was gone, leaving me in alone in his bed.I quickly got up before making my way back to my room to get dressed for the day.

As I made my way downstairs,I saw Xavier in the kitchen. He stood with his back to me,the smell of pancakes filling my nose.

"I didn't know you could cook,"I called out.

He turned around to face me,his eyes brightening up. I saw a few bags underneath his eyes, and I knew he was still tired from not  getting enough sleep last night.

"I don't know how to cook a lot of things,but I can make pretty good pancakes if I do say so myself,"he answered me,a smile gracing his enticing lips.

A few minutes later,Elisa and Thomas entered the room. Elisa was carrying a tray of cookies, and Thomas looked like he was eating something and was trying not to be sick.

"Hey Lily,do you want to try my cookies. I made them earlier,"Elisa offered, and I nodded before taking a cookie and placing  it in my mouth.

An awful taste filled my mouth as I bit into it. It tasted horrible and extremely salty. I quickly looked at Thomas to see him giving me a look.

I tried to swallow the cookie as I looked back at Elisa,who was smiling at me. "So what do you think?"she asked excitedly.

"They are a bit salty,"I said, trying not to gag at the taste of salt in my mouth.

"Oh,I think I might have accidentally thought the salt was the sugar,"she awkwardly scratched the back of her neck.

I quickly ran over to the sink before filing up a glass with water and gulping it down,I had to do this multiple times before the taste was fully gone.

I saw Thomas gulping down lots of water as well. He had probably also tasted Elisa's cookies.

I looked at Xavier to see him laughing at me. His laugh was beautiful and resounded around the room.

I was enjoying this.

It was nice to see Xavier let his guard down for once and laugh.

The doorbell suddenly rang, and me Xavier went to the front door. A woman and a man who looked to be in their fifties were on the other side of the door with a young girl and boy stood next to them.

Xavier turned towards me.

"Lily, meet my family..."