Chapter Thirty Six

36

the light is reached not by turning back from the darkness but by going through it's

-Leonard Roy Frank

------------------------------------------------------------------

Lily's POV

An hour later,we were let out of the safe house. As I walked back to the pack house,my eyes widened at sight before me.

There were dead bodies scattered around the ground, some bloodier than others. Some of the wolves had their heads detached from the body, and all I smelt was the metallic scent of blood.

In the midst of the dead decaying bodies, though, was my mate. He was breathing heavily,his back turned towards me, and his fists clenched.

The sight of my mate before me made realization dawn on me.

This beast in front of me was the true monster that I had heard about in the stories. This was the person Xavier was and who people feared.

He was capable of destruction.

I could see that clearly now, but I knew deep down Xavier was only like this because he felt weak on the inside.

Because he felt weak and vulnerable,he made people fear him. Not only to help him hide his weakness but also to help him get him over the grief of losing his old mate.

I stared at him,knowing something wasn't right. I turned around to see Thomas behind me.

"He needs you,"Thomas advised me. I scrunched my eyebrows together in confusion.

"In the past, when he has gone on killing sprees,the alpha always came back in an awful rage and would disappear for days. The alpha would go on killing sprees as a way of grieving for his old mate. Now he has you,you need to be there to remind him that he is not alone anymore,"Thomas further explained to me.

I nodded before cautiously approaching my mate. Xavier turned around, face me as he heard me coming closer to him.

I gasped at the sight of him.

Instead of his red irises staring back at me,I was staring into Xavier's pitch-black eyes. I knew his wolf was in control at the moment.

I saw an intense pain in my mate's eyes as I gazed up at him. I quickly found myself wrapping my arms around Xavier's waist as I placed my chin on his chest and stared up at him.

"It's okay,"I whispered,only for him to hear me. They were simple words, but I could tell they meant a lot to him.

My mate slowly wrapped his arms around my body and placed one of his hands on the back of my head, pushing my face into his chest.

He bent down slightly, sniffing my scent for a while before he exhaled. I felt his body relax before he continued to sniff my scent.

I revelled in being in my mate's embrace. I knew he had a mate in the past, and he had lost her,but I didn't quite realize how much he had been affected by losing his previous mate.

Most wolves would have died or gone insane from losing their mate, but Xavier, being an alpha,gave him the strength to not go completely insane from losing his mate or dying.

A while passed before Xavier reluctantly released me from his arms and took a step away from me.

I shied away as I saw the pack looking at us, some with adoration shining in their eyes other looking at us with bewilderment or relief.

"Everyone get back into the pack house. Thomas you will join me in my office in ten minutes and I want warriors and guards to be posted outside the edge of the territory, alert me if there are any more intruders trying to enter the territory,"Xavier commanded.

The pack nodded before following the alpha's orders and going back into the pack house.

Once we were alone, Xavier turned back towards me. "Lily, what were you thinking going out there when I specifically told you to stay put? You could have been killed! Do you have any idea how dangerous what you did was."he lectured me.

I saw fear surfacing in Xavier's eyes as he said this. I knew he was just worried about me, but I could take care of myself, and I had to protect the pack.

I quickly placed my lips on Xavier's, cutting him off from his rant. He stilled before kissing me back.

The kiss was passionate and fierce,Xavier showing me through the kiss how he felt.

We quickly pulled away before I placed my hand on his cheek and looked up at him.

"I'm okay,I had to protect the pack, though. It's my duty to them,"I tried to reassure him.

I could tell he was still doubtful, so I pulled him in for another kiss. When we pulled away,I whispered into his ear.

"It's all okay..."