056

F I F T Y - S I X
.·:*¨ ¨*:·.

Thomas was shooting questions at the girl as we walked through the building, warm lights now surrounding us.

Turned out the building wasn't abandoned at all. Women and men sat everywhere, staring at us like we were weirdos while they were the ones with ripped clothes and greasy hair.

"What brings you here?" The girl turned to us. She had buzzed, black hair, doe eyes, but somehow she seemed dangerous too.

Thomas looked at me before he spoke, "We were just walking through the woods, then we saw this building."

"And you just go in here?"

"Pretty much." He stared at the ground now. "But hey, we don't mind leaving and—."

"Jorge wants to meet you." She interrupted him. "Would like to see if you two are... valuable."

"Valuable? For what? Who's Jorge?"

The girl never replied. A few minutes later, she stopped walking, a man's back in front of us. "Jorge."

He turned around slowly, revealing his darker skin, and short, curly hair. The man, Jorge, held up his hands in a welcoming. "Hermano, Hermana!"

Thomas gave me another suspicious glance before he turned to Jorge, not talking anymore.

"What brings you here?" He asked as he poured a cup full with some kind of drink. "Stealing? Curious eyes?"

"Curious eyes." Thomas muttered.

"Ah, I see." He rubbed his forehead. "Two more questions. Where are you from, who are you?"

"We're from the US. On a holiday." I said. "Who are you?"

"I suppose I asked first, Hermana. Brenda, check 'em."

The girl opened a laptop and started typing as Thomas only frowned more at Jorge.

"Who are you?" The girl who I supposed was Brenda now asked. "Names."

It took us a long time to reply.
"Thomas Edison and Quinn Parker."

She typed something in. "Family members, Noah and Claudia Edison. Erica and Dante Parker. Seventeen and nineteen. From the US, indeed."

With wide eyes, I stared at Brenda. How the hell did she know all this information?

"You're staying in that hut on the others side, aren't you?" Jorge took a sip of his drink. "All alone."

"Yes." Thomas lied. Whatever this was, we wouldn't betray our friends. We barely knew these people. "Who are you?"

"Let's call it a... station for the homeless. I lead this place along with Brenda. Try to catch as much homeless people to find out why they are homeless. If the reason is bad, we... handle them, if they have a good reason, they stay here."

"Why?"

"Gotta make money somewhere." Brenda rested her head on her palm. "Anything better than stealing, right... Thomas?"