074

S E V E N T Y - F O U R
.·:*¨ ¨*:·.

Nothing was pleasant about the hospital. I was scared, anxious, panicked, and half crying when we stepped in there. White walls, clothes, furniture. Bright lights and lots of doors. Many people walking around.

Newt talked to a doctor, but I couldn't understand it. Thomas intertwined my fingers with his. Squeezed my hand.

"We're not allowed in yet." Newt told us. We sat down somewhere. "There's no news."

"What do you mean?" My voice came out hoarse and still shaky. I was so scared. What was I supposed to do without Minho?

"I guess that means they're still resuscitating him." Thomas looked down.

"No." Newt shook his head. His lips were dry, eyes worried. "Results should be out after thirty minutes. CPR can give brain damage after more than that."

"But... but Minho was gone for two hours when we got called." I stammered. "How long has he been here? Did he already pick up his parents?"

"I don't know. I'm sorry."

I buried my head in my hands. Please, please, please. I couldn't lose him. We didn't even have a picture together. We didn't have long enough.

Thomas wrapped his arm around me. That was when I noticed I had started sobbing in my hands, my shoulders shaking with each sound I made.

I wondered if this was how Aiden felt when that knife hit me. Did he feel empty and like he couldn't breathe or talk? Probably not.

I never felt the same around Aiden as I did with Minho, I realized. I loved Minho in a way I couldn't define. As if he was something I couldn't live without. Maybe he was.

I didn't love him like I loved Aiden. Or Thomas or Mom or Nari. It's impossible to describe how much I loved him. Love.

"I can't lose him, Thomas." I whispered. "I can't."

"You won't." He said. "Minho promised we would grow old together. Me, Newt, and him. When we were ten. He promised and I remember." He swallowed. "And I also remember Minho never breaks his promises. Never."

"He promised he would never break my heart." I blinked a tear away. "And that he would never leave me."

"He won't." Thomas said again. "I won't allow him to."

I managed the smallest smile ever.

Newt got up from his chair and started talking to a doctor that just stepped out of a room I assumed was Minho's. Thomas and I shared a glance before we walked over to them too.

"Is he okay?"

The female sighed. She closed the door behind her when I tried to get a peek. "We resuscitated him. CPR." She told us. "Gave him everything we could." She told us. "But."

But?

She stared down at the floor. Fidgeted with her fingers. "I'm sorry."

No.

"No." The words left my mouth in a whisper. I blinked.

"He's not— he didn't make it?" Thomas wondered. He spoke quietly and with a tone that broke me even more.

"I'm sorry." She said again. "But yes. He didn't make it."

The world just fell apart by one sentence.

He promised. I should've come with him. Someone else should've picked his parents up. Minho was supposed to marry me. We were supposed to buy a house and let Nari have sleepovers often.

My mom was supposed to meet him.

Something was eating everything inside of me away. My heart and organs, leaving an empty feeling in my stomach I knew I could never recover from.

I couldn't just go on without Minho. I couldn't be the one that watched Nari grow up. That wasn't what was supposed to happen.

.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·.

The clouds and sky were gray. The rain had stopped, but it was cold with a lot of wind.

I wished to be back in the warm Spain. France, at the Eiffel Tower or shopping with Minho in Switzerland.

It made me emotionless. The breaking inside made my face cold while my stomach was eating itself out.

"How do we tell Nari?" Thomas was the one who asked the question we all had burning on our lips. "That she lost her brother?"

"I don't know." I said.

"Do his parents-."

"I don't know."

I leaned my head against the window as Newt drove back in silence. Tears were streaming down his face. Thomas rubbed his eyelids. I let my tears fall too.

"Just us left now, Newt." Thomas mumbled. "No more arguments about who gets to drive and sit shotgun, I guess."

"Stop it, Thomas." I wanted to yell. "You're making it worse." I wanted to say. But I couldn't speak.

We got inside Minho's house again, totally ruined. Nari was the first we faced. And that was the worst.

She inspected our teary eyes and wet cheeks. Her bottom lip moved forward and her big eyes turned even bigger, showing the spark that was always in there.

"Is Minnie back yet?"

.·:*¨ ¨*:·.

"Quinn." Thomas touched my shoulder, which I woke up by. "There's a doctor."

I blinked. Looked around at the white walls and clothes and furniture. "What?"

"You fell asleep." He said.

A dream.
Minho wasn't dead.

"And there's a doctor that wants to tell us if he made it or not." He said.