Punishment

Chapter 60

Punishment

She looked a mess as he gently placed her over the mattress and went to pick up clothes for her to change when there was a knock at the door and her mother entered.

"I will take care of her, you may leave us alone." Adalet's authoritative voice came as she didn't wait for anyone to invite her, so she knocked and opened the door.

Sinbad looked at Sibel before taking any further action.

"It's okay Sinbad," she said, and he came to her side, pecking her head and whispering, "I will be near, okay." And he left them alone.

Adalet helped her stand on her feet and helped her remove the hospital gown.

"He fought with doctor Asıl, who wanted the nurses to give you a bath, as he wanted to do it himself. He didn't allow anyone to touch you. He closed the door and curtain and bathed you alone. I told you years ago to give him a chance, but your stubborn head needed to see things in those conditions. Abandoning your home, your family, your son because you wanted to prove something to the world."

"Don't speak as if you don't know what happened in the past," Sibel retorted as she finished getting dressed and sat on the edge of the bed.

"If your past with him was so abhorrent, then explain to me how you support his touch now. Because from what I have witnessed recently, you can barely breathe without each other." Adalet scratched at the old memories with a hot iron stick, and Sibel couldn't help her mind from traveling to the past.

"Enough, Adalet ma'am. You can come here and point out my mistakes as if they were mistakes. If everything happened that way, it is your fault for brainwashing me for the entire time I was under your roof. Not letting me be at peace with my thoughts. Always threatening me with your friends. 

I was hurt beyond belief. I was broken and you didn't care about me at all. I was raped in this bedroom.

I was beaten, cheated on in the next room as I was left in the enemy's arms. He broke me into a million pieces. The reason I left him was because I wanted to find myself again. To regain my strength. I couldn't just come back here because I had a baby with him. I didn't want him to feel proud to have me as his trophy. I refused to live the life of a pathetic wife. With me, it's everything or nothing."

"Life isn't like that, Sibel. We make compromises, lose some battles, and win the war in the end. Maybe this was our fault, since you were a child we let you win all your battles and never face the loss until you lose."

Sibel smiled at her mother's words.

"Isn't it funny. It's the harsh truth, my daughter."

"If you are so fond of the truth, then tell me mum. Have you ever been raped?"

"It's not about that, Sibel."

"Just answer, damn it. Have you ever been raped? Have you ever been slapped? Has my father cheated on you? Answer me mum. Have all those things that happened to me in this house occurred to you too!" Sibel shouted in rage.

"No. Thankfully, your father and I have a wonderful marriage that has become stronger through any struggle we face during 55 years of living together."

"Then you are no one to judge my choices.

Then you were no one to blame or threaten me as I held my son in my arms.

You didn't shut your ugly mind that time and put me to the worst cavalry ever."

"Sibel Kara, hold your tongue. If you forget who I am, I can easily remind you." Adalet Kara grabbed Sibel's arm and raised her hand, but that hand never touched Sibel's face as it was held in the air.