The Popular Student

A/N: I am kinda getting back into the swing of writing stories, was really going through a lot of heavy depression episode that was blocking my ability to write. To be honest, it's still there, and I think it kinda weakened my writing power with my last few stories. I am sorry. I'll try to do better.

It was a few days after the Thanksgiving holiday, and just before the break, Carlton's 12th-grade teacher had told them that they'd work on a project in pairs with another student once they came back.

The teacher didn't say who was gonna work with whom, and Carlton definitely didn't want to get paired with David. Someone who he doesn't like... very much. He's always picking on him, and just overall makes his entire day just a big drag. But once Carlton was about to leave the class the day before the week break, he got a glimpse of a paper on the teacher's desk, that read who was gonna be working with whom.

Carlton was gonna just leave, but he had to see who he was gonna be paired with when he came back from the break, and his heart dropped once he saw. It wasn't David, thankfully, but it was Hugo.

He felt his heart race once he saw his name next to Hugo's name. Hugo is one of the most popular students in the entire school. For many reasons. And he's always had a huge crush on him. But he's never tried to talk to him. Despite him being the "popular student" he doesn't seem like the cliché asshole that fictional media depicts most people who are popular in school, but he's best friends with David, and any time he's nearby Hugo, David is always there.

So, he should be happy to be alone with Hugo now, without David around, right?

Well, he's shy. And nervous.

****

Once he came back into the classroom from his break, he went and sat at his desk. Just sitting there, waiting, feeling nervous and excited at the same time.

He then saw David walk into the classroom first, followed by the other students, and then he saw Hugo slip in.

Feeling nervous, Carlton looked down. He didn't want to make eye contact with any of them.

Once the class settled down, the teacher started to pair every one, and most certainly, Carlton got paired with Hugo.

And David got paired with Clark, one of the other students who was on the left side of the room.

"Hey there," Carlton heard a voice. He felt his face heat up once he turned his head and saw Hugo smiling at him.

"H-Hi..." Carlton said, trying very hard not to stammer. He realized he was just staring at Hugo's beautiful face, so he tried to stop, "Um... so... you got picked to work with me, h-huh?"

Hugo smiled. "Yeah," He said. "I always noticed you, but you always seem quiet,"

Carlton blushed. "O-oh... um..."

Hugo gasped and shook his head. "Nothing is wrong with that!" He said, seeming like he was wanting to take back what he said. "Nothing is wrong with being quiet,"

Carlton blushed and scratched the back of his head.

"Um... so, I'm Hugo," Hugo said.

Carlton just continued to blush. "And I'm Carlton,"

Hugo smiled brightly. "Carlton? That's a nice name," He said maintaining his smile.

"Y-You can call me Carl if you want..." Carlton said. "It's a name my family usually calls me, as a nickname."