Argument

Adeline's Pov

All eight of us were given beautifully assembled and decorated food on elegant white plates while extra of the same was placed on ceramic trays.

The sight of Fettuccine Alfredo, served with chicken parmesan and a side of salad was too tempting but I waited for Lucius to start first.

When I looked around I found Altas and Cyrus already devouring their meal so I figured it wasn't considered rude to eat before the scary Mafia leader.

As soon as our father reached for his plate, I took that as a sign and grabbed my utensils. The food looked too pretty to mess up but the baby in me was too hungry to care.

I scooped the pasta rolling it around my fork and took the biggest bite, gulping it down with some water without even chewing it properly.

I was practically starving.

"Slow down tigress. Your prey isn't going anywhere." Altas said rolling his eyes as my cheeks flushed with embarrassment.

"I haven't eaten since breakfast." I said without realizing that it's quite normal to not eat concerning amount of snacks in between meals.

"I see you're a big foodie huh?" He said
sarcastically.

I mentally cursed myself for opening my mouth but before I could come up with another excuse to humiliate myself, father dearest came to my rescue.

"Altas." He said in a warning tone. "Let her eat." Altas nodded nonchalantly and went back to his meal.

Lucius was satisfied with his obedience and turned to me. "You can eat as much as you wish Adeline. Just tell your maid what you like and it will be made for you. That reminds me," He picks his utensils back up. "You must've met your personal helper, I believe her name was.." He thought for a second. "Ava?" And he got the name wrong.

"Anna." I corrected. "How can you forget such an easy name?" I've been here a few minutes and I'm already too eager to get on their bad side.

Lucius looked at me and raised an eyebrow while the rest were carefully watching the interaction. I guess they don't have any other form of entertainment that they have to rely on family drama.

"I- I meant... her name is Anna." I quickly said trying to defuse the tension in the air and thankfully Lucius didn't seem to mind to the extent of commenting on it.

I clear my throat and straighten up. "I met her, she seems nice but I don't think I need a personal helper..." I trail off and wait for him to say something.

"You might not need one but you should have one just incase. She's here to make your stay comfortable and do whatever you ask her to, including shopping for you, getting you meals, tidying up your room or accompanying you to any trip outside. I think it's practical for you to let her continue that what she's hired for. Or it would be a shame if I'm forced to fire her." He sighs in exaggeration.

Even after hearing mom's story I didn't truly realize how good my father was at manipulating until now. His words imply that he's trying to convince me but there isn't really any choice.

"Ok..." I think for a split second deciding what I want. Honestly at the moment I only want to eat but I also don't want the poor woman to lose her job so my answer comes out clear. "I guess I'll get used to her then…”

He nods apparently satisfied with my decision and I don't waste anymore time on anyone and get back to my food, feeding the starving baby.

"Carlos called regarding the dispute on the twin mills. I arranged for a meeting tomorrow afternoon..." I tune out as Cyrus starts indulging everyone in boring business conversation, totally not meant for dinning together.