Clinic

Adeline's Pov

My panicked footsteps bring me to Lucius' door and I frantically knock on it. My mind race to several possibilities —each worst than the other— as I wait for an answer.

When I don't hear any sounds from the other side, I open the door and peak inside, only to find it dark and empty.

"Snooping around people's bedrooms?" A deep voice comes from behind me and I turn around.

As Ewan takes in my state, his eyebrows furrow. I must be looking like a mess with tear stained cheeks and wet hair stuck to my face and neck. This isn't who I wanted to see right now.

"What happened to you?" His voice sounding shocked and disoriented

He doesn't look pleased with my crying which is understandable because I know he hates me. I wipe my face with the sleeve of the hoodie I threw on before leaving my room.

"Where's your dad?" I hiccuped.

"He's out for a meeting. He'll be back by morning." He informs. "Why do you need him? Did something happen?"

If I didn't know better, I would've mistaken his questioning for concern but I know he's either curious or irritated that he has to deal with me.

"Can you.." I sniffle. "Can you call Rhyett please?"

I know in our father's absence, he's the one I'm supposed to go to. Besides, he's been nice with me. He always tells our brothers to not bother me so I think I can trust him enough to ask for help.

"Tell me what happened?" He commands, apparently not happy with my preference of our eldest brother over him.

Isn't this what you want, that I stay the frick away from you?

"Please." I plead. "It's an emergency I... I really need to talk to him."

"Ok stop crying. I'll get him." He rushes to the other side of the hall and knocks on the very last door.

I wish I had taken Lucius' number. But if I was so smart, I wouldn't be in this situation —fearing the life of my unborn baby— right now.

I see Rhyett open the door after four impatient knocks. His white sweatpants are hung low on his torso and hair were ruffled like he just woke up. He isn't wearing a shirt and has plain black slides on.

I haven't seen him without his formal suits. Everything about him is always elegant and systematic. The emotionless face and stiff shoulder are his usual.

But for once, he looks human.

Ewan says something to him and he immediately turns to look at me, now aware of my presence at the other side of the hallway.

His eyebrows furrow at Ewan's next words and he rushes inside. The next time I see him, he's throwing a sweatshirt over his head and making his way towards me pocketing his phone.

Ewan doesn't leave. Rather he decides to stay and find out what the emergency is about.

Rhyett crouches down in front of me and I see just the tiniest crack in his otherwise cold exterior. He looks worried and I hate to be the cause of it.

"You need me?" He almost hesitantly places his hands on my arms.

"Yes, I-"

Before I said anything, I remembered Ewan was standing right next to Rhyett. From the way he reacted to Marcus' call, I figured he isn't a rational or understanding person.

I don't want him present for the conversation I'm about to have with Rhyett. If he stays here, he'll definitely overreact. I was so out of sorts that I couldn't form a simple sentence politely telling Ewan to leave. Instead, I kept looking at him hoping he'd get the memo.