Nightmare

Adeline's Pov

"Your mother was a really kind lady." Mom's colleague —whose name I never learnt— smiled at me.

I mindlessly nod to her words while my eyes were glued to my mother's casket as it was descended in her soon-to-be grave.

A broken sob escaped past my lips and a stream of tears started to flow again. I knew I looked like a mess but I couldn't care less.

I wish George and Josh were here but they weren't. No flights were available at such short notice so they will be meeting me at the airport when I land in my father's city.

My father. The man who conveniently called my social services this morning claiming my custody after abandoning me before I was born.

I wiped my tears and stepped forward to let the soil fall down from my hand and cover the beautiful face of the mother I'll have to live without for the rest of my life.

                           ————

Dim light welcomed me as I woke up at an odd time. Mom knew I get scared of dark so she always flicked on the ferry lights when she left my side.

Turning towards the side table, I checked the time on the digital clock. It was 4:50. The bathroom was empty as there was no sign of light coming out from under it.

Where was my mom?

As my bladder forced me to get up, I reluctantly left the warm duvet and dragged myself to the bathroom.

Once I was done I saw mom still haven't returned to the room so I decided to go and check downstairs. She must be having a midnight snack or maybe watching TV without me.

I kept my footsteps light as it was very late and almost felt illegal to make a big noise at this hour. Mom didn't notice me as I snuck behind her and engulfed her in a hug.

She was startled by my sudden appearance but held my arms nonetheless. She turned on her seat at the kitchen island as we pulled
away.

"What are you doing here, sweetheart? Couldn't sleep?" Her voice was kind as always but I noticed a hint of weariness in it.

There was only one light switched on so I had to really focus on her face to finally notice her wet cheeks. She was crying. But why would mom cry?

"Mommy, why are you crying?" I was getting scared of the situation.

There's just so much an seven year old could handle.

"I'm not crying, baby. Something went in mommy's eyes." Her smile never faltered.

"I can help you get that out. I offered genuinely wanting to be helpful.

"It's fine. I got it." She swiped her thumb over one eye and wiped the remnant of tears.

"Next time if you need help. Wake me up!" I commanded, putting a hand on my hip to emphasize my point.

"I will." She laughed and kissed my cheek.

After a bar of chocolate, mom forced me to bed as I had school tomorrow and we cuddled as I started slowly dozing off.

Before I was consumed by sleep I heard a mumble that could've been my imagination. "I wish I never left."

                          ————

"George!" I almost screamed when I saw him. I hated it when he had to leave for work!

He wasn't even prepared when I ran towards him and jumped dropping all of my weight on him. Mom laughed as he slightly stumbled
backwards but managed to catch me in time.