Mood Swings

Adeline's Pov

I felt a light shake on my shoulder followed by Cyrus' retracting hand as I opened my eyes.

I hadn't realized when a wave of sleep took over me and I dozed off. It's embarrassing cuz I just woke up from a nap an hour ago. Not to mention everyone in my family is now staring at me.

"Sorry. I didn't sleep well last night." I lied because I felt like it. Before anyone could say anything, I noticed our dinner was set in front of us. "Oh God! Did you let the cooks come in while I was sleeping?" I looked directly at Lucius with disbelief and a subtle hint of anger.

He opened his mouth to speak but I spoke again. "Now they're gonna think I'm so lazy that I can't even stay awake for literally two minutes." I think it's the mood swings kicking in now.

"They won't, Adeline." Cyrus said in a neutral tone but the furrow in his brow told me he's confused at my sudden weird behavior.

“Was I ugly sleeping?”

“Very ugly indeed.” Altas replied. “Your mouth was fully open and there was drool coming out of it. Also your eyes looked like you were a zombie who's had pneumonia and would probably eat everything on the table.”

"Altas!" Lucius scolds. "Didn't I tell you to not talk about what she eats?"

"But I didn't. I was just talking about how ugly she is." Altas protested like he had a fair point.

"You're so mean." I barely managed to say as tears gathered in my eyes and I didn't do anything to stop them.

I've already been having such bad days and he had to add to my discomfort. My mood literally changes every minute and at this moment I felt like sobbing. So I did.

"He's lying, Adeline. You weren't... ugly sleeping?" Rhyett was unsure of the term but assured me nonetheless.

"Why are you crying? Do you really believe what he said?" Though Ewan's voice sounded harsh but there was a subtle hint of confusion in it.

"I wouldn't have but Josh once took photos of me sleeping and those were ugly as frick. So I don't like people seeing me when I'm asleep." I wiped the tears from my eyes and rubbed them as they suddenly felt so itchy.

"Who the hell is Josh?" Not this again. Ewan's seems to have a particular interest in my personal life.

"Her stepbrother." Rhyett answers for me and for a second I wonder how does he know because I clearly don't recall having a conversation about it.

But who am I kidding? They probably know a lot about me. Being in the Mafia comes with its perks. One of them being that you get the right to anyone's privacy.

Before I could say anything, Julian speaks. "If the staff thinks you're lazy..." He turned to me with thoughtful expressions. "Would they be wrong though?"

That was the end of my patience and I exploded. Well, as much as I could manage while a stream flowed from my rage filled eyes.

"I'm not lazy! I'm just a little sleepy today." That was the best comeback I could think of.

"Today? You mean everyday?" Altas jumps in because degrading me is easily his favorite hobby. "You're always either yawning or looking for your next meal." That's because I'm pregnant, my least favorite brother!

"That's it." Rhyett finally manages to shut him up successfully but that does nothing as I'm already overflowing with tears. "No going out for two weeks. You'll come straight home from school. Understand?"

"Understood." Altas obediently nodded.

As I get fully consumed by my emotions, I don't realize when Cyrus puts his hand over mine and in the moment I don't comprehend anything, resulting in a horrible flinch.