The Book

Adeline's Pov

It's hard keeping a secret.

When it isn't something that can be buried in the past and forgotten by time.

My baby is a reality.

It's a huge part of my present and future.

Hiding my truth for the fear of judgement makes me feel like a culprit when it isn't even my fault in the first place.

Why do I have to live with the consequences? Why am I scared of my brother's reaction? I didn't do anything and they'll understand. They have to.

"When will you tell everyone about um... my baby..." I asked Lucius two days ago as we drove back from the clinic.

He looked at me from the rearview mirror as I was seated at the backseat while Rhyett took the wheel next to him.

"I'm just waiting for Cyrus to be back. Since your brothers are already mad at me, it's good if I have him by my side when I break the news to them." He explains calmly.

I know Cyrus had been sort of a mother to them and while our father was who he is —a father— Rhyett took up the strict parent job and needless to say none of the siblings go to him for comfort or care.

But I'm so far most comfortable with him.

He's sweet. Even if he doesn't let that on, I know he loves his brothers and they know that too.

I contemplated whether I should stay quiet or ask what's been on my mind for days now. "Will they have a bad reaction?"

He stays silent for a moment. "Don't worry about it, sweetheart. I'll talk to them. They're grown ups, they'll understand." I nod unsure of whether I should believe his words.

I want my brothers to not overreact as they did to the freaking call. They were way angrier than I had expected them to be over something so petty.

Marcus is a disgusting guy but he's harmless. And now that I had changed countries, there was no reason to make such a huge deal of him.

The logical thing that Lucius later did was to just get me a new number and forget about what happened. But Ewan and Altas had to take out their frustration on me.

"Can you remember taking your meds on time or do you want me to remind you?" Rhyett turns the wheel and his muscles flex.

I've gotten new meds now as Valerie had brought in a gynecologist for the checkup. She's an old lady that must be in her late sixties and thankfully she's very kind.

I didn't even know Valerie was a trauma surgeon, she seemed to have known everything about pregnancies.

I really appreciated that she stayed next to me throughout the whole checkup because I was much comfortable telling her what I felt.

To my surprise even if Lucius was accompanying me this time, Rhyett insisted on coming as well.

I thought he'd have some Mafia stuff to do but apparently he prefers to stay with me. As much as I admire that, it was terrible as he was asking thousands of questions during the exam.

The old lady was very patient with him —though I could tell she wanted him out of there but I'm guessing she knew who he was. Valerie on the other hand, was getting really frustrated.

At one point she actually kicked him out of there so later I had to explain him everything that happened once he left.

Lucius stayed in the room silently. He must've already know about everything as he was with mom for five pregnancy, even half of the last one; when she was carrying me.