Empathetic

Adeline's Pov

The whole day has been a nerve ride. Opening up about my nastiest secret to the father I barely know and then sitting in my room the entire day thinking of what's gonna happen next.

Lucius assured that he's ok with me having the baby and he didn't blame me for any of it but I still couldn't digest our whole interaction.

Maybe I expected a harsher response which is why I was so surprised. But something in me still couldn't believe that he was being so kind and understanding.

I'm worried if he'll suddenly change his mind.

I don't think I can handle his anger.

I still regret breaking down in front of him but I couldn't control my emotions anymore. I only cried once in my mother's lap for what happened to me.

Mom left too soon. And the days she was with me were focused on preparing me for what will happen the coming months.

And when she was gone, I didn't even get a chance to weep her death before I had to fly for Texas and live with my new family.

I avoided going downstairs till dinner as usual. Like always Anna brought lunch to my room —since I'd asked her to do that.

But today, not only did I get my lunch half an hour earlier but Rhyett also sent some extra snacks with it so I could eat them during the day.

I was over the moon by the gesture. I hadn't kept any quick foods in my room since I thought it'll be rude if I took things from my family's pantry and stored them in my cupboard.

I'm glad Rhyett didn't mention it in front of everyone because it would've definitely gotten me some generous comment from Altas. And Julian would think I'm getting even lazier.

I've started to like Rhyett a lot but he's being overly suspicious. I thought he knew how to lie and underplay the situation, but I guess not.

He drew way too much attention from our brothers this morning for his unusual behavior and I certainly don't need any of it.

Speaking of brothers, I don't know if Lucius has told everyone yet. They'll know soon anyways but I don't want that day to be today. I'm really exhausted and my head hurts from all the crying.

I need to get the images out of my head. I can't keep thinking of that horrible day. It's not good for me to take unnecessary stress or any stress at all.

Going to the dining room proved to be a greater challenge than I thought. My legs didn't want to continue the journey and mind swirled with scary scenarios.

I was the first one here today. Soon Altas and Adam strolled in together like the duo they are. When my eyes fell on Adam, I gave him a small smile which he returned.

We haven't really talked since last night when we cuddled to sleep but I didn't mind, I knew he's not interested in getting to know me. His kindness was probably pity that he felt seeing me so vulnerable after the nightmare.

Ewan entered next but I didn't pay any attention to him and continued playing games on my phone. From my peripheral vision I could see Altas scowling at me but I ignored him.

Julian came in next but the two people I was waiting for —Lucius and Rhyett— weren't here yet. It was five minutes past the dinner time which was very late considering they're always on time.

"Where's dad and Rhyett?" Altas asked Ewan.

"I don't know. Both took the day off, they should be here."

"Dad didn't go to work either?" Julian furrowed as if it was the most absurd thing he's heard.

Ewan nodded and Altas spoke again. "Then who took over today? Cyrus isn't here either." It been a day since he's been gone to see his girlfriend and as from what I've heard he'll be back in another few.