Number

Adeline's Ροv

“Dad’s hosting a dinner tomorrow for some business partners. Your father will be there too.” Reign says as I pack my bag. He doesn't bother bringing anything from home which saves him quite some time after class. 

“You’re more than welcome to join.” He offers.

This is exactly what he's been doing for the whole week. He doesn't pressure me but he keeps dropping hints or making subtle suggestions to hangout.

He hasn't mentioned becoming friends or anything more than that. He just watches me as I bake and holds small conversations during it.

“Actually I’m going shopping with Valerie tomorrow and I'll only have Sunday to rest so…” I didn't have to give him an explanation but I felt obligated since he's been behaving so well the whole week.

“It's okay.” He says instantly. “But if you change your mind you have my number.”

The time I invited him home for the assignment, I purposely called him from the landline and naturally he asked me for my number the next day at class.

But I declined. It would be another hope for him which I don't want to encourage at all.

“Or you could just come without a notice. Either would work.” He added.

It's cute how he always panics thinking he's offending me. I feel bad that he's still trying his best to get with me but it's not my fault. I've been transparent about my disinterest.

I nod, ending the conversation and swing my backpack over my shoulder. As always, we’re the last one in the class. We stay talking about something or the other for a few minutes before I have to eventually leave as one of my brothers waits for me outside.

Reign tells me about his basketball match next month —and obviously invites me to it— as we walk to the exit. But when we got to the reception, my eyes widened seeing the guy sitting at the waiting area.

He smiles at me and makes his way towards me. I really wanna go hide somewhere. I knew this workshop would only attract more trouble for me. I should just stay home my whole life. That's the best option.

Reign furrowed his eyebrows looking at me. “I think that guy’s coming over for you. You know him?”

“I… actually…” I fell silent as he finally stood in front of me.

“Hi, addy. I was waiting for you.” Jordan says and steps forward to hug me.

I had made up my mind to stand up for myself and not let him touch me again. But he chose to do it publicly. I can't create a scene in front of everyone.

I gulp as his arms wrap around my figure and fingers grab my waist so intimately that I can feel the heat of his touch seeping through the two layers I'm wearing.

I don't like this.

He finally pulls away after a few moments and looks at me with admiration clear in his eyes. “How're you?” He asks brushing his thumb on my cheek.

“I'm fine.” I replied, taking a small step away from him. 

“You didn't introduce me to your friend, Adeline.” Reign said politely but there was a tightness in his jaw as he glared at Jordan.

“That's Josh's cousin.”

“Josh, your stepbrother.” Reign says.

“Yes…”

I mentioned Josh in a conversation a few days back. Given his reaction, I'm assuming Reign already knew who he was —as he has some great stalker skills— but he definitely doesn't know about Jordan which is apparent by the expressions of confusion and pure disapproval on his face.