Angel

Rhyett's Pov

“Can you hear us, Mr Storm?”

I try focus on the voice.

“Mr, Storm.”

I can hear it clearer now.

“Rhyett.”

Someone’s calling me.

But the soft voice is replaced by a harsh whisper now.

“Are you stupid? Don't take his name.”

“But he might recognize-”

“If you want to live, don't do anything that can be counted as disrespect, Valerie.”

“But-”

I abruptly open my eyes and the surroundings come into my vision. I start breathing heavily as I try to adjust to the strong lighting in the room.

“Are you okay, Mr Storm?”

I look up to the girl with a gentle voice. I haven't seen her in our clinic before but she's wearing a white coat so she must be a new doctor.

She's looking at me with hopeful eyes, almost like she wants me to be okay. Like she cares that I survive. Like she wants to help me out.

Her beautiful brown eyes contrast with the red hair that's neatly made into a bun. Her skin is as perfect as it gets. She looks angelic.

“Would you like some water?” Another voice that's irritating me asks softly.

“No.” I refuse but my voice comes out groggy due to my dry throat.

“You should drink some, Mr Storm.” The angel in front of me speaks again.

I nod, not being able to refuse her. The other annoying doctor —that I don't bother to look at— helps me sit up leaning against the headboard.

My lower back hurts with a piercing pain and I realize I had been shot. But I don't hiss or think about the pain, I just silently keep my eyes on the angel as she brings the glass towards me.

Rather than taking it from her —which I don't think would be too much of a problem even in my current state— I bring forth my face, signaling her to help me drink.

She brings the glass to my lips and I sip slowly, all the while studying the smallest details of her face. The lightest freckles and the scrunch of her nose as she looks back at me.

“Good to see you all well.” Dad says entering the room. Someone must've informed him I've woken up.

He doesn't express his emotions in front of outsiders but I know he's relieved to see me alive. And I'm pretty sure I'm going to get scolded for my lack of regard for safety that landed me in this position.

“If there's no procedure left then leave us alone.” Dad orders everyone.

“There isn't. Mr Storm is perfectly fine. I'm sure he'll have a really fast recovery. We just need to monitor his healing and dress the wound from time to time.” The annoying doctor spoke again. This better be his last time because I'm running out of patience.

Before they could leave on my father's orders, I spoke. “I won't stay here. Get me a doctor who'd take care of me at my home.”

I make a show of peeling my eyes from my father and looking at half a dozen doctors in the room. Then finally, my gaze return to her.