Corn

Adeline's Ροv

"Do you have corn?" I ask the head chef as he was lazily waiting for me to speak.

"Unfortunately, we're out of them, Miss Storm. It was used in the soup you drank three bowls of for lunch and an additional two as a snack." He smiles bitterly. "You can check the overhead cabinet, if it's not there then it's recommended you wait till tomorrow."

I want to snap so bad but I fail to think of a good comeback so I narrow my eyes in an obvious glare before walking back to the cupboard he mentioned.

It's the usual behavior for this guy —whatever his name is. At first I was surprised that he's being rude to me for no reason but then I heard him talking to a butler about "the bastard in the mansion".

I then realized that the staff here thinks I'm Lucius' illegitimate child and that's why the brothers don't like me. The employees don't know we siblings had the same parents.

Because no one gives a damn about me —according to the head chef— so he treats me as he deems fit.

I want to snitch on him but I'm scared that it might result in more than him just losing his job.

I open the cupboard but there's only cans of tuna, chickpeas and tomatoes. I sigh in resignation and make my way down the hall for dinner.

As I cross the room to get to my seat, a strong scent of perfume reaches me. And damn it's overwhelming.

I bend towards the seat not realizing what I'm doing and sniff. Why does this smell so good and disgusting at the same time?

I sniff again and the horrid smell goes directly through my nostrils to my lungs and I suddenly wanna throw up.

I put a hand on my mouth scrunching my face and try to think of anything that would distract me from the sudden nausea.

"What the hell's your problem, Adeline?" Altas' irritated voice reach me and I realize he's the one I just sniffed. "Why the fuck are you even sniffing me?" He turn his head to his shoulder and sniffs to confirm he doesn't actually stink.

"It's not that- I'm sorry. I'm just not feeling good right now-" I try to calm the situation but Ewan decides to interject and worsen it.

"Ever consider the problem might be you, stinky ass?" He snaps like he's been personally attacked.

Somebody has to tell him that some things can be sorted out without verbal abuse.

Now that I know he has anger management issues, I can understand that he loses his temper time to time but I don't want my brothers to argue because of me.

Altas looks at him weirdly like he didn't expect him to jump in the conversation. "Chill out dude! And fyi I just took a shower."

"Whatever." Ewan mutters and straighten back in his seat.

I take that as a cue and settle down. The moment I turn to the table set with everything Mexican —one of my favorite cuisines— I knew I was about to throw up tonight for sure.

"No, don't..." I push Rhyett's hand away as he was about to put some rice on my plate.

"You don't want rice? How about a taco?" He asks patiently waiting for me to speak.

"Idontwanttoeatthis." I rush out the words in the smallest whisper.

"Repeat it."

He kept looking at me but I was far too embarrassed to ask for something else when there was tons of food —more than the six people present here could eat— already on the table.