Take 2

Adeline's Ροv

“I saw Rhyett's car outside, he’s home early today?” I ask, taking a seat next to Adam.

He hummed, his full attention on the video game. “He’s in his room. Oh and Valerie-” He abruptly stopped talking as he aggressively clicked different buttons on the controller.

“He’s trying to say she's also here. Actually she was looking for you but you weren't home yet so she went to see if her boyfriend is still alive.” Altas said, chuckling.

Everyone knows that they’re together and Altas hasn't stopped teasing Rhyett about his indecisiveness —that caused so much drama— or how they're gonna be like an old married couple who goes to Wendy's on a Saturday night.

“Fuck, this guy is cheating.” Adam threw the controller in full rage.

I picked the controller and saw three cracks in it. “Why does Lucius keep buying you new ones?” I gave him a weird look and he just shrugged.

“What's that?” He got up and took the container in my hands.

“Shortbread cookies. I made them.” I told him with a proud smile.

Suddenly Altas was by my other side too as Adam took off the lid, throwing it on the ground. They both took one cookie each and taste tested it like we were playing MasterChef.

“Could use a bit more sugar.” Altas said and his twin came up with his own suggestion.

“The edges are too hard, almost like it's overcooked or slightly burnt.”

“It's not my fault your teeth have fallen off and now you can only eat baby formula.” I said glaring at him.

“What even is this shape?” Altas asks inspecting another cookie. “It looks like circle and square had a love child but since they were cousins, the kid’s distorted.”

I snatch the cookie and the container from him. “You can't even make cup noodles.”

“If we aren't bakers, doesn’t mean we can't judge other people's creations.”

Adam tried taking a second cookie but I moved it away from his reach. “Aren’t these too burnt for your taste.”

“It's okay my dear sister, I'll do it for you. Somebody has to finish these.” Adam sighed like he was making a sacrifice.

“Don't worry, I have people who would love to eat this.”

“C'mon, I was kidding. This is really go-” He tried again and I slapped his hand away.

“I only had six and you've already eaten two. I’ll have to divide the rest between five people but now Valerie’s also here, I don't even know how to do this complex math and you want another?” I sighed in frustration.

I should've given Reign only two, he didn't make them and he didn't even need more than that. I doubt he’s gonna share it with anyone but his father.

“That’s the simplest math, Adeline. Just cut two of the cookies in half.”

I thought about it and it was really a kindergarten level math problem. I have really started overreacting lately and every problem seems so huge. I stress myself for no reason.

“Wait, I have an idea.” Altas said. “If we decide these among ourselves, no one will ever know you brought anything home.”

“Brilliant idea. Let's eat the evidence.” Adam agreed.

“You're such horrible people.” I place a hand on my chest for dramatics. “You’re teaching your little sister to lie.”

“Well it sounds bad if you put it like that.” He makes a cringe face. “But think about this way,” He gestures me to come closer like he's gonna tell me a secret. “We're soldiers in the Mafia and we're making sure our boss doesn't get a sugar overdose.”