Baker

Reign's Pov

“Kiddo,” The same girl from earlier called and we both turned to look at her. “Your laces.”

Adeline looked at her shoes as the girl tipped her head to it. “Thanks.” She replies and the girl goes back to her work mumbling, “No problem.”

When she was about to bend down to tie it, I kneeled down faster and grabbed the laces. “I got it.”

She immediately shook her head. “No, no, it's okay. I can do it myself.”

I slap her hands away as she tries to remove mine. “Let me.”

She didn't argue again and straightened up. I do know why can't she agree with me for once without having a full-on debate about it.

She's pregnant, she shouldn't be bending down anyways.

Once I was done I got up and she thanked me with pink cheeks that looked so delicious on her. She then gestures me to move aside so she can continue her work again. We both stay in the comfortable silence as she steals glances at me in my delusional mind.

When no words were spoken for a moment too long, I decided to initiate. But I was confused about what she wanted to hear from me. Since I couldn't predict that, I went with dad’s suggestion.

“I like collecting antiques. There's a huge collection at home. You can come check it out some time.” Why did I invite her? She'll misunderstand it now.

“I'd love to.”

I probably heard her wrong. She would never accept an invitation from me —especially if I asked her to come over. But maybe in these two weeks, she realized I’m not that bad.

“I hate geography but I love basketball.” This sounds like someone who's just learnt to make a sentence.

I don't think this is what dad meant when he told me to bond with her. Now she'll think I'm weird for mentioning random shit. But I don't know what to say. I've never had to put so much effort in anything. And this is the best I can do under so much pressure.

I really thought I naturally charm girls but I guess those were attracted to me in the first place but Adeline's a different case. She's not impressed by anything I have to offer.

“I hate geography too. I like french.” I sigh in relief when she reciprocates.

“I don't like French. They are our enemy so I hate their language as well as anything else they do. But I have to learn it so I can understand them. It gives you an edge, you know.”

Since the filling was ready and the pasta sheets were in the pot to boil, she was free for a few minutes and decided to turn towards me to talk.

“Who isn't our enemy?”

“Greeks, Mexicans, British, Russians and some small unions.” She nods. “What's your hobbies?” I asked to keep the conversation going.

She thought for a second before answering. “I've never really had any hobbies of my own. I always did what Josh did. He loved remote control cars so I wanted one too. When he started skateboarding, I did too. Then he got obsessed with Legos so I followed. He was a huge influence in my life and I always copied him but I genuinely enjoyed doing all those things. And to have someone you love do it with you is simply the best.”

“After him I really didn't have any hobbies, neither did I have anyone to copy one from. Then I saw Julian cooking and… You know I loved asking mom to make me something and then watch her make it for me. He reminded me of her and… he’s so much like her. He's calm, he’s sweet. He doesn't overreact and always tries to make me feel better.” She smiled to herself.