Drive

Reign's Pov

I'm trying not to be the creepy guy who can't stop stealing glances at his date. But it's rather difficult when she's sitting right beside me in a car all alone.

“You're comfortable right?” I asked, tipping my chin to the cushion I placed behind her.

“Yes.”

Her reply is followed by the awkwardness that hasn't stopped since we got in the car five minutes ago. We both know how intimate this setting is and it's really nerve-wracking. 

“How are the babies feeling today?”

She tore her gaze from the window and looked at me. “I don't know what's wrong with them today, they haven't stopped kicking and turning since morning. It really hurts.”

My heart started beating faster with fear. “Addy if you're not feeling well we don't have to go.”

She giggled and stroked her belly. “Don't worry, it's nothing I can't handle.”

“Are you sure?” She nods confidently. “Alright but if you feel anything unusual, tell me right away. I don't care about the prom, we can leave any time you want, okay?”

She smiled at me. “Okay.” Her phone beeps and she unlocks it with her fingerprint. “Aww.”

“Who is it?” I asked out of curiosity. Surely it can't be another boy-

“George. He wanted to see me off to prom but couldn’t come because of work so he's asking for photos and telling me to break a leg. I hope he doesn't mean that literally.” She chuckled.

“Don't tell me he threw in a couple threats too? Won't be surprising.” I muttered the last part.

“What do you mean by 'won't be surprising’? George’s a nice guy, he doesn't threaten anyone.”

“I didn't mean it for him in particular. But it seems to be a running theme in your family.” She looked confused so I clarified. “Each of your family members —including Josh— threatened me to not try anything tonight.”

“No way. You're lying. They all agreed to be good to my date.” Date, that's what I am. Should I grin at her now or act casual about it?

Just then her phone beeps again and she squints her eyes at the text. “I think this is for you…”

She hands me her phone with an awkward smile and I see the text that reads, “Inform Reign I have a shotgun that I know how to use.”

“Told ya.” I chuckled giving her back the phone.

She shook her head in disappointment and leaned back against the seat to relax. Another few minutes passed in silence until she cleared her throat and spoke.

“You didn't compliment me on the dress.”

My head snaps to her when I hear her complain. She looked so gorgeous that complimenting her completely slipped my mind. I felt such a strange feeling of pride seeing her wrapped up in red that I forgot my dialogues and went to hand her flowers.

“You don't have to if you don't think I look good.” She said with an edge to her voice.

Okay now I am starting to get scared. This could very well ruin the whole night for us. I can't afford to upset her. I want her to enjoy her time with me and remember it for months to come until I give her an even better date.

“You look absolutely gorgeous, princess. I was literally knocked out of breath when I saw you.” Despite my brain screaming not to do it, I brushed my finger tip on her hand that's placed on the seat next to her. “Forgive me for not complimenting you, I just couldn't think straight when you looked so beautiful.”