Meeting

Adeline's Ροv

"I'm sorry. We couldn't save the baby." The doctor whispers sadly.

I suck in harshly but the air seems to disappear before it reaches my lungs.

There's not enough oxygen in the room.

I need water but when I turn to the side table to grab a glass, the doctor throws it away. I look up at his face and it's him.

It's the head chef.

He killed my baby. I knew I shouldn't trust him. He hates me and he's taken out some sick frustration on my baby.

He smiles in triumph and it's the ugliest thing I've ever seen. I want to get away but my body doesn't move.

I try again but nothing happens. I can't breath, I can't move and he keeps on coming forward-

My eyes flew open and I stare at the familiar ceiling taking in harsh breaths. It's my room. I'm home. I'm safe.

It was a stupid nightmare.

I turn to my side and see it's just five o' clock. I decide to have an early morning today and get out of bed. I could sleep after a quick snack.

I freshen up and didn't bother changing. Stepping in front of the full length mirror in my room, I analyze my baby bump.

It's hardly gotten into shape and it irritates me everyday because I'm really impatient for it to grow.

I don't look pregnant. I look like someone who eats junk and doesn't exercise. My stomach's inflating in an unflattering manner. Nothing close to a beautiful round baby belly.

I check the notifications on my phone and see a text from Josh telling me to call him when I'm free.

Josh has always been an early riser and school obviously has him maintaining that routine so I know he'll be up by now.

I pick up my phone and send him a text saying, "I'm up, wanna call rn?" Instead of a reply, I get a call and pick it up right away.

"Hi Josh." I say overexcitedly as this is exactly how I like to start my day —talking to my best friend and the brother who's always been there for me.

"Hi loser." He loves to call me that. "You sound fine, how's your irritating family? Have you eaten their brains yet?"

I know Josh doesn't have a particular liking for my family but he tries to not offend me by going all out on the insults —for their behavior towards me.

"They're fine. I'm a really great housemate."

"Who would know better than me?" He says sarcastically.

We both loved living together and having our little family with mum and George but he only admits that on rare occasions. He's usually in the mood to annoy me.

"Did you talk to yo- Lucius?" I can feel his tone change at the mention of the name.

Josh doesn't like to call him my father. When we found out what my parents did, he was equally mad at them as I was. And even if I had, Josh hasn't forgiven either of them.

"I'm sorry but I can't come to meet you guys. Lucius didn't allow it..." I sighed. "He said I could invite you over but I don't know how that would play out..."

"Perfect. We'll come meet you then." He didn't hesitate for a second.

"But I can't have George and Lucius meet. Wouldn't it be awkward? You know how the two liked- loved mom. And I doubt either of them would wanna stay civil, even if it's for my sake."