Surprise

You guys are awesome.

Enjoy the bonus update!

                              ———

Adeline's Pov

I woke up with a headache.

It was expected when I slept with tears in my eyes. But I didn't ruin my remaining peace by thinking of what happened yesterday. Today was a new day and the day of my stepfather’s birthday.

The person who was my first ever father figure. The one who did for me what a parent should for his child. The one that I got when I longed for a father.

I smile to myself as I think of how happy George would be when we surprise him. I know he misses me a lot so I wanted to make his day special.

I'm glad nobody at home was against the idea of me traveling two hours. Ever since I’ve started vocalizing my displeasure, my family has become more lenient.

I spent the whole breakfast avoiding Cyrus and stuffing myself so I don't have to eat more before the party because I need to make room for cake. Nobody talked about what happened yesterday nor was I in the mood to discuss it.

After breakfast I retracted back to my bedroom to get ready. I had to change from three different outfits before finally settling on one that was baggy enough to cover my bump.

It was a yellow jumpsuit with a square neckline which was perfect since the party was midday in the backyard. I wore beige flats and added a simple bracelet to complete the look.

The whole ride to the party Julian was telling me about the changes in literature through different eras. He's very passionate about classical literature. So much so that I think he’ll be a professor if he drops the idea of torturing people.

My legs cramped sitting in the car for such long hours. Once we got there I instantly jumped out of the vehicle and stretched my limbs.

Since it was my first time coming here, Julian went to ring the bell and confirm if we're at the right place. After a few seconds Josh opened the door. He completely ignored Julian and ran towards me engulfing me in a tight hug.

“Took you long enough, loser.” He muttered.

I pushed at his side as he was putting too much pressure on my abdomen. When he pulled back he looked at me silently asking ‘what’s wrong’.

He knows I like hugs that squeeze the life out of me but I can't tell him that I need to be careful for a few months.

“When is George coming?” I asked, holding both of his hands.

He wasn't bothered by the change of topic. “In fifteen minutes if I'm guessing correctly.”

A grin appeared on his face telling me exactly how proud he is of his little lie. When I texted we’ll be there in ten, Josh called George’s office saying he's injured himself and would appreciate it if his father could be with him so George got a half day.

I was about to move inside to see if Josh has done anything right —because I cannot trust him when it comes to decor— when he placed his hands on my eyes.

“I have a surprise for you.”

I love surprises. Today wasn't my day but I won't mind getting a gift for myself. I smile to myself as he starts taking me inside.

“Careful. Don't rush her.” Julian said with a clear distress in his voice.

He was on care duty for me today. As he was the oldest among Adam and I, everyone has told him to make sure I was alright. And being the great brother he is, he was stressing so much about it.