Guests

Julian's Pοv

She's pacing again.

I can tell she's really looking forward to meeting her step family. She seems to love them a lot.

I'm not someone who gets jealous but she could love us a fraction of what she feels for them. Not that we have given her many reasons in the past....

But we're good to her now. And I want her to see it and accept us as her family and not just people who she has to live with.

She's getting comfortable but there's so many times that she'd suddenly pull away. Like this one time when we were talking about going on a trip —something we do each year— and she decided to go back to her room to give us privacy.

She doesn't say it directly but we know that she still doesn't feel like a part of our family. And I hate to think that she feels like she's intruding.

"That's enough now. Sit down. And you'll not get up till they're here." Rhyett orders and she wordlessly sits down next to me.

He's been telling her to rest for quite some time now but she's too hyped to care and so he had no choice left but to use his "work voice" which always gets the job done.

She pulls out her phone and I take a subtle peak at the texts. She's been texting Josh for an hour now asking where they are every minute.

Her impatience has resulted in him sharing the information with laughing emojis each time which seems to infuriate her —if the pissed off emojis are a tell.

She drops another message saying, "I'm done waiting for you. Don't come."

I suppress a smile at her cute annoyance. The idea of them cancelling does sound good. We can think of doing something better then.

"Can't get rid of me that easily, loser." Josh replies and for some reason I feel like punching the shit out of him.

Adeline smiles and replies back with a "Hurry up I'm dying."

And then without giving it another thought she starts pacing the length of the living room again. Rhyett sighs and calls her over to him.

She stands in front of him waiting for him to say something but he grabs her wrist and gently tugs her to sit down next to him.

"Eat this and —I'm repeating this for the last time— do not get up." Rhyett gives her a sharp look and hands her some beef jerky.

She blushes furiously. I can tell she isn't a fan of being on the receiving end of Rhyett's scolding. But she loves it when he's doing that with our brothers.

We all sit in silence. Adeline's eating and the rest of us are either studying or working while the twins are playing "need for speed" on the TV.

"Your guests are here, Mr Storm." Anna informs and without wasting a single second my sister rushes out of the living room.

Everyone in the room is as displeased as I am by her over excitement but dad, Ewan, Rhyett and I follow her out anyway.

Turning the corner, I spot them —the two men I'm hating right now— standing at the entrance.

George's smile pull wide when he sees Adeline while Josh grins at her and opens his arm for her to run in but she move past him and literally throws herself on her stepfather.

My heart skips a beat when I see her potentially falling down in such condition but thankfully George catches her effortlessly as if he's used to this behavior from her.