One Step at a Time

Adeline's Ροv

It's exhausting laying in a room all day.

And what's more frustrating is that everyone has a piece of advice to give me.

They all want me to miraculously sort out my insecurities in a single day.

But they don't understand what it's like to be me. They don't consider everything I'm going through. They always look for solutions but they never sympathize with me.

I don't want anyone to pity me but they can atleast make me feel heard.

There's another knock at my door which brings me out of my thoughts. It's the hundredth time I'm being bothered today. I swear it's only spoiling my mood further and doing no good.

Why can't they just leave me alone?

I'll come out when I want to.

“Come in.” I say with distaste.

The door opens and Cyrus walks in with a tray of food in his hands. I see him and turn my head sideways to avoid looking at him.

I want to visually represent that I don't appreciate his presence so when I sit up and rest my back against the headboard, I decide to fold my arms and hold my head up.

“Am I disturbing you?” He asks softly.

I feel so guilty when he does that. Why can't he fight when I want him to? He always has the worst time to bring up the forbidden topics.

“No.” I correct my tone to match his.

He sets down the tray on my bedside table. There's two sandwiches, juice and dry fruits in it. Each of them makes me wanna throw up.

“I heard you only ate half of your breakfast?”

He knows I've developed a strong dislike for everyone telling me what to do. I don't like interference in my diet or my inability to voice my truth. But he's still talking about it.

“I wasn't hungry.” I replied briefly.

“You haven't had lunch either. Can you please eat atleast one of the sandwiches?”

“I don't want to. If I'm hungry I'll get something myself. I'm more than capable of it.”

I lifted my head to look at him when he came towards me. He didn't say anything and I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. After waiting a split second, he tipped his chin at the spot next to me.

I scowled but moved a little, making space for him to sit down with me. I don't know why he wants to act like everything's okay between us.

He made himself comfortable on my bed and even took the corner of my blanket to cover himself as I had turned on the AC to calm down my conflicting head.

“Alright, it's your choice to eat as much as you want. You know what's better for your kids.” He states and face falls at the words.

I don't want my babies to suffer because I can't keep my mood in check. But that's exactly what happens each time. I always end up stressing them out.

“Why aren't you getting ready? Don't you have to leave for your class in…” He checked his watch. “Thirty minutes.”

It was Monday today. Since my meeting with Reign on Saturday, I've locked myself up in my room. And none of my family members are happy about it —especially because my appetite has been cut down by half.

“Cancel my enrollment. I don't wanna go anymore.”

I turn to look straight ahead and ignore the man sitting beside me. I don't want to engage in any conversation that will make me feel more horrible than I already am.