Chapter Six: Surprise

Y/N and Rodrick had been silently reviewing their notes in his bedroom. He hadn't really spoken to her much and all Y/N could think about was their conversation last night. She had been around Rodrick enough to know when he was lying considering the fact that whenever she was over, he was always lying to his mother. So it was very clear to her that Rodrick had lied to her last night about how he was feeling. She wanted to know why. Of course, if Rodrick didn't want to share that was fine. But she was concerned about him. Why did he seem so upset and why did he lie to her about it? She shifted her gaze from her work to him and studied his face. What was he keeping from her? Why was he keeping it from her? Y/N considered herself as someone to have a lot of patience but in this situation, her patience was growing weaker by the second.
Suddenly, a loud chime filled the room. Rodrick took his phone out of his pocket and read the screen. He turned to Y/N. "Mom says it's dinner time. Are you staying?"
"Sure, why not?" she shrugged. And with that, they packed up their things and made their way downstairs. The table was set and everyone else had taken their seats. Rodrick and Y/N sat beside each other across from Greg and began to pile some food onto their plates.
Y/N's eyes shifted to Greg who had a mountain of mashed potatoes on his plate. Y/N was never one to judge people for their choice of food or how much food they ate but looking at Greg's plate kind of worried her. That was a lot of potatoes.
"Greg, save some for everyone else, honey," said Mrs. Heffley who took her seat at the table.
"Can't. I need to bulk up," Greg replied, putting more potatoes onto his plate.
"Why?" asked his mother. "I think your body looks beautiful just the way it is."
"I heard he got his butt kicked at wrestling," Rodrick said, smirking at Greg. "What is wrong with you?" he asked his little brother. Y/N gave him a cautious glance. He better not destroy Greg's confidence. "Why would you sign for something you don't have to do?"
Mr. Heffley quickly changed the topic. "You signed up for wrestling?" he asked Greg excitedly.
"Kind of," Greg said through a mouthful of potatoes.
Rodrick scoffed and rolled his eyes. "You never sign up for something at school. You fly below the radar. That way, you never raise anyone's expectations." He tapped his head as if what he said were smart. Y/N shook her head and looked to Greg.
"Don't listen to him," she mouthed.
"Thank you, Rodrick, for those words of motivational wisdom," said Mr. Heffley. "But perhaps a better way to look at it is that it's a chance to learn and excel at something."
"What would I learn at school that I can't teach myself?" Rodrick asked.
Mr. Heffley huffed and turned to Greg and began to explain to him some equipment he could start using to have a good, wrestling-built body.
"So stupid," Rodrick muttered under his breath, loud enough for only Y/N to hear.
"At least he's not playing video games," Y/N whispered.
Rodrick chuckled and began to eat his food. Y/N smiled to herself. She got a genuine laugh out of him. Perhaps she was changing his mood?

When dinner was done and Y/N helped Mrs. Heffley do the dishes, Y/N's mother was messaging Y/N like crazy.

Mama🫶: Y/N come home, I need to show you something. Please hurry, it's urgent
Y/N: Be right there.

Y/N went upstairs and into Rodrick's room where he was seen looking over the notes he had written with her. She couldn't help but smile.
"I think I'm starting rub off on you," she said.
"Pfft, as if," he replied.
Y/N packed up her stuff and said, "Could you give me a ride please? Mom says she needs me and apparently it's urgent."
"Yeah, sure," he said.
They walked down the stairs and Y/N said goodbye to everyone before they left.
When they got in the van, Rodrick turned on his music at a low volume.
"So what's going on with your mom?" he asked. "What's so urgent?"
"I have no idea," Y/N replied. "I hope it's nothing too bad."
"I wouldn't worry about it," Rodrick said. "I mean, when my mom texts me like that it's usually because I'm in trouble so I doubt that's what's happening."
Y/N smiled at him. "I'll try not to worry."
"Good," he replied. "So," he started, his voice high-pitched and squeaky. He cleared his throat and said in a low voice, "I was wondering if you wanted to hang out tomorrow?"
"Sure," Y/N said. "Is Ben going to be there?"
"Actually I don't think Ben can make it," Rodrick said, glancing over at her.
"Just you and me, then?" she asked.
He nodded, turning his attention back to the road. Y/N noticed a small smile on his face.
"Where do you want to go?" she asked.
"Wherever you want to," he replied.
"That's real sweet, Rodrick but I have no idea what we should do," she said. "I don't like making choices."
He laughed. "I don't either," he said. "We could always just go to the mall again."
"The mall seems like our thing," Y/N replied. "Might as well go there."
Rodrick pulled up in her driveway and parked the van. "Yeah," he said quietly, not turning to face her. Although it was dark out, Y/N could see a bit of blush colouring Rodrick's cheeks.
"Goodnight," she said, opening the door.
"Goodnight, Y/N," he replied.
She closed the door and waved to him before entering her house.
"Y/N? Is that you?" her mother called from the kitchen.
"Yes," Y/N hollered back. "Is everything okay?"
"Come here," she said.
Y/N kicked off her shoes and walked into the kitchen where her mother sat on the floor playing with...
"A puppy?" Y/N exclaimed. "Where'd you get a puppy?"
"Well I was online and I seen the animal shelter was looking for foster families for the animals and I just had to get her," said Y/N's mom as she kissed the puppy's head.
Y/N knelt down and the puppy waddled over to her, tail wagging. The puppy affectionately nipped Y/N's fingers. "So this was the urgent thing?" Y/N asked.
"That and I wanted to give you this." Her mother got up from the floor and handed Y/N a sheet of paper.
"What's this?" Y/N asked.
"Well, it's a mini contest at a jazz club for bands," her mother explained. "They're having different genres of bands preform on different nights and on Halloween they're having a rock night. I was thinking maybe you could show that to Rodrick and his band so they can consider doing the contest."
"Mom, this is great," said Y/N. "Rodrick is going to flip."
She kissed her new puppy's head and hugged her mom. "I'm going to talk to him right away."
And with that, Y/N went upstairs to her room and flung herself onto her bed. She pulled out her phone and sent Rodrick a text.

Y/N: Dude, I found out the urgent thing
Doofus:) : whst is it?
Doofus:) : what*
Y/N: My mom found a gig for your band! You guys can do a mini contest at a jazz club!
Doofus:) : no way really???? when is it??
Y/N: Halloween night
Doofus:) : that's not far away
Doofus :) : omg this is amazing thanks tell your mom i said thank you
Y/N: Ofc, ofc. Also, I got a puppy
Doofus:) : just then?
Y/N: Yes, the puppy was part of the urgent news. She's so cute!!
Doofus:) : sick what's her name?
Y/N: Idk yet. I don't want to call her Bella because every female dog I know has had the name Bella.
Doofus:) : name her something cool like shredder
Y/N: I'm not calling my dog Shredder.
Doofus:) : why not? it's rlly cool
Y/N: Rodrick, this is like naming my child. When you're older are you going to name your kid Shredder?
Doofus:) : maybe 🤷🏻‍♂️
Doofus:) : at least then he'd be the only kid with that name
Y/N: I pity your future child
Doofus:) : why? with a name like that and face like mine, shredder is going to get tons of grills not just grills but guys too
Doofus:) : shredder will be irresistible
Y/N: Why is your kid going to get lots of barbecues?
Doofus:) : i meant girls
Y/N: I know, I'm just teasing
Doofus:) : yeah cause your mean
Y/N: You're*
Doofus:) : 🤓☝️
Y/N: Okay, I'm going to bed
Doofus:) : wait i was kidding don't go
Y/N: I'm putting my phone on my nightstand
Doofus:) : wait
Y/N: Why?
Doofus:) : cause i wanna talk to you duh
Y/N: About what?
Doofus:) : idk i just wanna talk to you
Y/N: Okay but like about what?
Doofus:) : idk just stay up and talk to me
Y/N: How do you think the band will react when you tell them about the contest?
Doofus:) : they'll freak out
Doofus:) : especially ben
Y/N: I'm excited to see your performance
Doofus:) : you'll be there?
Y/N: Yeah, of course I will. I am the one who told you about the contest after all. Plus I don't feel like handing out treats all night
Doofus:) : thank you
Y/N: For what?
Doofus:) : telling me about the contest and for planning to show up
Doofus:) : it means a lot
Y/N: You're welcome
Doofus:) : :)
Y/N: :))
Doofus:) : i'll let you go to sleep now
Doofus:) : goodnight y/n sleep well
Y/N: Goodnight, Rodrick, see you tomorrow

She shut off her phone and set it on her nightstand. Then she curled up under her blankets and fell asleep, her last thoughts about Rodrick. He was such a great friend to her.