Chapter Fifty-Two: Rose

Rodrick's parents decided that he and Greg would spend a full weekend with their grandfather at his retirement home.

When their parents dropped them off, their grandfather walked over to them happily. "Greg! Rodrick!" He hugged Greg and went to hug Rodrick but stopped himself when he received a warning glare. "Oh, right. Not a hugger." He patted Rodrick's shoulder and led them inside the retirement home. As they walked inside, their grandfather was practically showing them off. "These are my grandkids." Rodrick walked behind Greg and purposely stepped on the back of his shoe.

"Quit it," Greg demanded.

"Why don't you tell Mom?" Rodrick asked. "You're good at that."

When they got into their grandfather's mini apartment, they sat in the living room, watching the security footage from the lobby since he hated watching TV shows.

"I should be rehearsing right now," Rodrick grumbled.

"Please, Grandpa. Please, can we watch a real TV show?" Greg asked.

"TV is just a bunch of fakers," his grandfather dismissed, waving his hand. "This is real life. It's real life. You can't beat it," he said as an old lady slowly waddled around the lobby with a walker.

Rodrick sighed and rolled his eyes. Greg let out a groan and leaned back against the couch. Rodrick unlocked his phone and smiled briefly, Y/N had messaged him.

"How about we all go down to the games room?" their grandfather asked. "You boys like games, don't you?"

"Yeah," said Greg as he got up from the couch.

"Rodrick?" his grandfather said as he got up from his chair. "Are you ready?"

Rodrick sighed. "Yeah, I guess." He stood up and quickly looked at Y/N's text.

nerd<33 : I know you're busy visiting your grandpa but I was planning on stopping by just to say hi
Rodrick: to me?
nerd<33 : Yes, you, silly
Rodrick: i'd like that :)
Rodrick: but how are you going to get here?
nerd<33 : Lexi is going to drive me. She got her license
Rodrick: okay
Rodrick: i'll see you later then
nerd<33 : Bye for now<3
Rodrick: <33

He shut off his phone and followed his grandfather and Greg into an elevator. They stood there in silence. Rodrick's grandfather watched as the coloured numbers descended as they went further down the elevator shaft.

"I like the little lights," his grandfather said, pointing at the numbers. Rodrick and Greg nodded slowly.

When the elevator came to a stop and the doors opened, Rodrick and Greg followed their grandfather into an open room where a bunch of elderly people were playing board games.

"Hey... Grandpa? Where are all the games?" Greg asked.

"They're all around us," their grandpa replied with a smile.

"I mean, like, real games. You know, like Twisted Wizard?" said Greg.

"Pssh. That's not a real game," their grandpa said, shaking his head as he brought them over to a table.

They sat down at a round table and their grandpa began to set up a game. "This one is called Gut Busters," he told them as he pieced it together.

A lady walked over to them, holding a tray with glasses of milk. "Are any of you thirsty?" she asked. Greg and Rodrick nodded. She passed them a glass of milk and handed their grandpa a glass too.

"Thank you, Betty, sweetheart," their grandpa said politely. He took a sip of his milk and turned to Greg and Rodrick. "Now, remember, the object of the game is to read the joke card, and all of the other players have to try not to laugh." Their grandpa chuckled. "Good luck. There's some real rib ticklers in there."