Chapter Thirty-Eight: Rodrick & The New Girl

When class was dismissed, Y/N made her way to her locker, expecting Rodrick to be there. But no. He was leaning against the new girl's locker, having a conversation with her.

Y/N watched them and started putting away her books. Rodrick was talking about his band and how they won first place at the jazz club contest. He was smiling and was happy to share it with her. But the new girl wasn't paying the slightest bit of attention. She was too busy applying lip gloss to her perfect lips. She turned to Rodrick. "How do I look?" she asked.

"Nice," he replied, his smile faltering as he realized she wasn't listening to him.

She turned and waved at Brad who just entered the main locker area. He didn't notice her. Y/N watched the new girl's hand fall by her side and the smile on her face disappear.

Y/N didn't know whether to feel bad for her or laugh. She took her backpack off the hook in her locker and swung it over her shoulders before closing the metal door.

Rodrick walked past her with the new girl by his side, nodding along as she spoke dramatically about random things. Y/N walked behind them and put her headphones in, blocking them out. Then she stepped outside and realized that today was the first day in a long time that she wouldn't be riding home in the Löded Diper van.

Rodrick hopped into his van and didn't bother to wipe away the crumbs in the passenger seat for Heather. She opened the door and looked around in disgust. She brushed the pieces of food off her seat and sat down, buckling her seatbelt.

"Where do you want to go?" he asked her.

"I don't know," said Heather as she went on her phone. "I haven't been here long enough to know what's here."

Rodrick racked his brain, trying to think of what a teenage girl would like to do. "There's a mall—"

"Yes, let's go," Heather interjected. And with that, he drove out of the parking lot and made his way down the street.

"Want to listen to some music?" he asked her.

"Good music?" she asked, raising a brow.

"Yeah, that's all I have on my playlist," he told her with a smile. She nodded and he connected his phone to his van and played Helena by MCR.

Heather grimaced. "Ew," she said. "I thought you said you had good music."

She then proceeded to flick through his songs, none of them reaching her expectations. She paused his music entirely and stared out the window.

When they arrived at the mall, Heather practically jogged inside. Rodrick slowly trailed behind her.

He followed her into several girly stores where she bought new shirts and pants. Rodrick had noticed the prices on all the clothing she had bought and knew that Heather must have been loaded. As they walked out of another clothing store, Rodrick saw Hot Topic in the distance.

"Could we go there?" he asked her. "I want to pick up a new shirt."

"No, I'm not going in there," said Heather with a scoff. "Besides I'm hungry. Let's go to the food court instead."

He nodded and let her drag him to the food court. She went to a mini Olive Garden in the food court and ordered a salad. Rodrick went to Mcdonald's and got a happy meal because they finally had good toys there.

When they sat down Heather gave him a strange look. "What are you, five?" she asked as she took a bite of her salad.

Rodrick laughed it off and ate some of his fries. Dickhead, he thought.

"So, Rodrick," she began. "I've been thinking.."

He looked up at her and waited for her to finished her sentence.

"Do you think we could do this more often?" she asked.

"What do you mean?" he said through a mouthful of fries.

"I mean go out like this," she explained. She reluctantly touched his hand. "Like as a couple."

He blinked. They had just met a few days ago. It only took a few days of knowing him for Heather to ask him out. And Y/N had known him for so much longer than that. Maybe she really didn't like him. He looked at Heather and nodded. "Yeah, that would be nice," he said.

"Good," Heather replied. "Hey, what do you say we get out of here and go somewhere by ourselves?"

"Sure," he said. He got up from the table and followed her out of the mall. When he buckled his seatbelt, Heather placed a kiss on his cheek. He stopped and blinked rapidly. He wasn't sure how he felt about that. He pulled out of the parking lot and began to drive. Suddenly, Heather's hand touched his arm and her fingers trailed along his skin.

"We should stop over there," she said, pointing with her other hand at a small parking spot near the beginning of a hiking trail. Rodrick nodded and pulled into the parking lot. He turned to face her and before anything else could happen, her lips were on his. His eyes widened and he glanced around. He didn't really like this.

She cupped his face and kissed along his neck. He sat there awkwardly, his eyes shifting nervously from left to right. She then pulled away.

"Shit," she muttered, brushing her fingers along her lips. "Now my lip gloss is ruined."

Rodrick looked at her, confused. "Am I supposed to say sorry?" he asked.

"Yeah, an apology would have been nice," she said. "You know, seeing as your my boyfriend you'd think you would warn me if I was going to ruin my makeup."

He furrowed his brows. "I'm.. sorry?"

"Thanks," she replied. "Okay, you can bring me home now."

He nodded, a confused expression still on his face. Then, with the help of Heather's instructions, he brought her home.

"See you tomorrow," he whispered to her. She gave him a mere nod and got out of his van. When she was gone, he played the CD Y/N had gotten for him and drove home. On the way to his house, he passed hers. He drove slowly, noticing that the light in her room was on. She was probably doing homework. He smiled as he thought about how smart and how dedicated to her work she was. But then his smile faltered. What he was doing was stupid. Terribly stupid. He probably made Y/N really upset. He shook his head. She's not upset. She never liked me. That's why she never asked me out. He sighed at the mess he had tangled himself into before driving to his house, doubting everything he had done.

Author's note: i know this isn't 'biblically accurate' heather because she definitely would not kiss rodrick or ask him out but this goes along with the storyline for this fic. so i'm sorry for making her character inaccurate but it goes with the plot so yk. and the only reason why rodrick said yes was to get his mind off of you. because in his mind, you won't ever like him back so he thinks he'd rather be with someone shitty like heather than spend his time in a continuous cycle of wondering whether or not you share those feelings. and of course, you don't know that and that's where the drama comes in lol. anyway, i hope you have a great night/day. i appreciate you!!