Chapter Twenty-One: Christmas Eve

It was Christmas Eve and Y/N and her mother were baking cookies in the kitchen. They had already made sugar cookies and were now putting a batch of gingerbread cookies into the oven.

"Hey, do you remember Scott?" her mother asked suddenly.

"The guy from the jazz club?" Y/N asked, eating one of the still hot sugar cookies.

"Yeah. You know how I told you him and I are friends?" her mother paused and waited for Y/N to catch on to what she was trying to say.

"You're not friends, are you?" Y/N asked. Her mom shook her head. "So... are you like... dating?" Her mom nodded. "Ah.. so how long—"

"Three weeks," her mother interjected. "We've been together for three weeks. It's not that long but I didn't want to keep it from you." Her mom gave her a worried look. "Are you... upset at all?"

Y/N shook her head. "As long as he's nice I'm not mad."

Y/N's mother smiled and kissed her cheek. "I'm thinking of inviting him to the Heffley's tomorrow for the Christmas party. Is that okay?"

"Mom, you don't need to ask me for permission, you know that, right?" said Y/N.

"But I want to make sure you're okay with this," her mother explained. "You and I have had our rough patches with my boyfriends so I want to make sure you feel... safe."

"I feel safe, Mom," she said. She walked over to her mother and hugged her tightly. "And as long as you're happy, I'm happy."

Y/N's mother kissed the top of her head and cupped her daughter's face. "I love you, you know that?"

"Yes. Yes I do," said Y/N. "I love you too."

They pulled away and smiled. "You excited for tomorrow?" Y/N's mom asked.

"Yeah, I can't wait to eat Christmas dinner," Y/N laughed.

"And I bet you can't wait to see Rodrick's face when he sees your present," her mother smiled. "He's going to love it."

"Are you sure?" Y/N asked, nervously fiddling with the strings of her sweatshirt.

"Yes, I'm sure. Your present is very sweet, Y/N and he is going to love it," her mother told her. "And then he's going to tell you how he feels and then you're going to tell him you feel the same and then everything will be perfect because romance will be budding in the air."

"Okay, okay, that's enough," said Y/N, smiling. "I don't even know for sure if he likes me."

Y/N's mother gave her a pointed look. "Really?" she asked. "Y/N, have you seen the way that boy looks at you?"

Y/N shrugged. "He's just looking at me."

"He looks at you like you're the greatest thing to exist, Y/N. And you look at him the same way. The problem is, is that neither of you realize it. And that is infuriating, for everyone who knows you two," she said.

Y/N sighed. "Can we stop talking about my personal life please?"

"What do you want to talk about then?" asked her mom.

Suddenly, a timer went off. Y/N's mom opened the oven and pulled out a tray of perfectly baked gingerbread cookies. "Wait for them to cool off first before you start decorating," her mom reminded her. Y/N nodded and inhaled the delicious smell that began to linger in their kitchen.

After a few minutes, the cookies had cooled off. Y/N and her mother decorated them with eyes, mouths and buttons, you know basic gingerbread cookies. But Y/N decided to make one special. She gave this gingerbread messy icing hair and a shirt with the words: Löded Diper on it. It was supposed to be Rodrick.