Chapter Twenty: Stars

It was the 22 of December and Christmas was so close. Not only was Christmas soon, but today was the day that Y/N would be coming over to Rodrick's to help his family decorate the tree.

When he got dressed and had some breakfast, he messaged Y/N.

Rodrick: good morning:)
nerd:)) : Good morning! :)
Rodrick: how'd you sleep?
nerd:)) : I slept well, thank you. How about you?
Rodrick: pretty good
Rodrick: so when did you want to come over?
nerd:)) : I was thinking of leaving in a few minutes

Rodrick looked out his bedroom window. The snow was falling pretty heavily and the trees were trembling in the wind.

Rodrick: i'll come pick you up
nerd:)) : That's okay, I can walk
Rodrick: i don't want you to freeze
Rodrick: i'll come get you in a few minutes, okay?
nerd:)) : Okay, thank you:)
Rodrick: :))

He started his van and waited five minutes for it warm up before he went outside and got in. He drove down the street to Y/N's house where she was waiting on the front porch.

She walked over to his van and hopped into the passenger seat. He looked over at her and smiled.

"Christmas is coming, Rodrick," she grinned. "I'm excited!"

"I'm excited to see what you got me," he said.

She furrowed her brows. "That's strange. Most people aren't excited to receive coal on Christmas," she said. He laughed and pulled out of her driveway.

He drove carefully down the street. The roads were covered in snow and he didn't want to risk the van sliding with Y/N in it.

They arrived at Rodrick's house quickly, even with the slow pace at which he drove.

Once they got inside his house, Mrs. Heffley greeted Y/N at the door.

"Hi, Y/N!" she said, enveloping Y/N into a tight embrace. "How are you? How's your mom?"

"Give her some space, Mom," Rodrick said as he took off his jacket. He walked into the living room and sat down.

Y/N took off her jacket and answered all of Mrs. Heffley's questions. The pair of them made their way into the living room and sat down. Rodrick was pleased to note that Y/N sat beside him.

"Oh, that's a lovely tree," Y/N said. She got up from the couch and walked over to the Christmas tree that sat in the corner. "Is it real?" she asked.

"Yes. Frank got it a few days ago," Mrs. Heffley said. "Speaking of Frank, I'm going to go get him and the kids." And with that, she left the living room.

Rodrick watched as Y/N sniffed the tree and smiled. She looked over at him and scratched the back of her neck sheepishly. "I've never had a real tree before. I've always had the plastic fake ones," she told him.

He got up from the couch and walked over to her. "Having a real tree isn't the best thing in the world," he said. He grazed one of the branches and several little pine needles fell to the ground. "See?"

"It smells great though," she told him.

His smile grew bigger. "Wanna help me get the ornaments from the basement?" he asked. Y/N nodded and he led the way to the basement.

Rodrick turned on the light and scanned the room for the box of Christmas decorations. When his eyes passed the Halloween decor, he saw some cardboard boxes labelled: Xmas Stuff.

He walked over to the boxes and picked two up. He tried to balance them in his arms, hoping to impress Y/N with his "strength" but he ended up almost dropping the boxes.