Chapter Fourty-Six: Bill, The 'Professional'

It was the Friday after Rodrick's party and his parents still hadn't found out about the door. He assumed they were just using the bathroom attached to their bedroom.

The bell that dismissed school had rang and Rodrick was waiting for Y/N by her locker.

When she emerged into the main locker area along with their fellow classmates, she was surprised but happy to see him. She walked over to him with a smile on her face. "Hi," she said.

He looked down at her and smiled back. "Hi," he replied. He moved to the side so she could open her locker. "So, me and the band are going to practice at Barry's house with Bill to see if he'll join the band. And I wanted to know if you wanted to come watch? Lexi will be there so you won't be all alone."

Y/N smiled at him. "I'd love to go."

Rodrick's face lit up. "Okay," he said, nodding. "Okay. Cool. Cool. I'll, uh... I'll give you ride to my place. We can hang out for a bit before we go to Barry's."

"Sounds good," Y/N said, still radiating with happiness.

They made their way out of the school and were about to cross the parking lot when a red convertible drove in front of them. The driver stopped and looked at them. It was Heather who was blasting the song California Gurls by Katy Perry. She turned down the volume and looked at them. "Get in," she told Rodrick. "The shoes I want for my Sweet Sixteen are on sale. Come on."

"But me and the band are playing with Bill today. I told you that," he said.

"News flash: I don't care," she scoffed. "Now come on before some bitch takes them."

"Heather, I already told you that I would be busy today," he said in a gentle tone. It took everything in him to be patient with her.

"Okay and? This is my Sweet Sixteen, Rodrick. Do you know how many people are going to show up? I need these shoes. Come on," she demanded.

"But I need to practice with Bill so that the band will be ready to play at your party," he told her.

"Fine. I'll just get Brad to go with me," she said. "Oh and you're lucky I'm still letting your band perform." She looked at Y/N and handed her an envelope. "You can come but don't bring Alexis with you."

"You mean Lexi?" Y/N asked.

"Whatever, same thing." Heather rolled her eyes. Then she glared at Rodrick. "If your band isn't ready by next week, I'm going to kill you. Literally kill you."

Rodrick nodded and Heather drove away, running over Rodrick's foot with her tire. He held his foot and hopped around. "Ow, ow, ow, ow."

Y/N took his arm and let him lean on her for balance. "Are you okay?" she asked.

He nodded. "Yeah, I barely even felt it," he said, tears of pain in his eyes. He put down his foot and winced when it touched the ground. "Come on. Let's go."

They crossed the parking lot and got into Rodrick's van. He told Y/N she could play her music on the drive to his house.

When they arrived at Rodrick's house, his mother was very happy to see them together. "Hi, Y/N. Did you two want anything? Any snacks? I've got pink lemonade in the fridge. I just made it."

"Do you want anything?" Rodrick asked. Y/N shook her head. "No. We're good."

They went upstairs and into Rodrick's room. They sat on his bed and looked at each other. "What should we do?" Y/N asked.

Rodrick's eyes wandered around the room. "Hmm. I'm not sure," he said.

"Do you have any homework you want me to help you with?" she asked.