Chapter Fourty-Five: Deny, Deny, Deny

"Hey, guys. Manny's sick. We're on our way home. See you in an hour," said Rodrick's mom's voice. His eyes sprang open and he jolted awake.

"Holy—"

"Moly!" Greg shouted. Rodrick got up from the floor and furrowed his brows. What had he been doing on the floor? He looked around. The place was an absolute disaster.

"You are in so much trouble," Greg said with a laugh. Rodrick turned to his brother.

"Me? You lied to Mom just as much as I did and you know how she feels about lying," Rodrick told him. "She's going to kill both of us."

Greg's brows creased with worry. "You do the living room, I'll start the kitchen. Go!"

Rodrick nodded and dashed towards the the fireplace. He grabbed an open jar of peanut butter which had been set on top of the fireplace. He looked up to see slices of bread stuck to the ceiling with the peanut butter. He sighed and began to clean up. He grabbed a garbage bag from the kitchen and started shoving everything into it.

After he had cleared the living room of everything —including some random guy— he went into the bathroom and desperately scrubbed off his eyeliner. It took him forever to get it all off.

Once his eyeliner was off, he helped Greg clean the front yard and carried a chair into the living room which had been brought outside.

When the yard was clean, Rodrick and Greg stood in the living room, looking around.

"It looks good," said Greg as he nodded.

"Too good," Rodrick said. He dashed into the kitchen and grabbed a bag of pretzels from the pantry. Then he made his way back into the living room and sprinkled a hand full of pretzels onto the carpet. "Let's get the kitchen."

Rodrick and Greg made their to the kitchen, passing the bathroom door. They stopped in the their tracks and looked at the door. Spray painted on the door was: Rodrick Rules in bold lettering.

Rodrick gasped. "Maybe we can paint over it," Greg suggested.

Rodrick turned to his brother. "I don't know how to make paint!" he exclaimed.

"No, I got it," said Greg. He ran downstairs into the basement and Rodrick hurried after him. Greg lifted up an old door that was in the corner of the room. Rodrick helped him by picking it up from the other side.

"See, it's a good thing I locked you down here," he said as they carried it up the stairs. "Now let's go!"

They took off the old door and brought it into the basement before they started to screw the new one to the hinges.

"We're not going to make it," Greg muttered as they worked on the last screw.

"We're gonna make it," Rodrick told him before the last screw fell onto the floor. He let out an exasperated groan. Greg picked up the screw and handed it to Rodrick who carefully but quickly fastened it into place with the screwdriver. He gave Greg the screwdriver and told him to put it back into the garage before he swung the new door on the hinges, smiling.

Greg returned from the garage and they both ran into the living room, flinging themselves onto the couches. Rodrick cuddled up into the couch and pretended he was sleeping. But then he heard a gasp. "Rodrick," Greg mumbled. He looked over at his little brother. "The bathroom door. The door doesn't have a lock on it. The other door had a lock on it and this doesn't. We're dead. If they find out—"

"Shh! Shh!" Rodrick said, before lying back down on his stomach.

Suddenly, the front door opened and their parents and Manny all stepped inside.