Chapter Eleven: His Muse

Rodrick sat on the floor in his cluttered room, notepad in hand. He had written down a few lyrics but he was unsure of some of them.

her name is y/n
i've had lots of dreams about her
you may even say she rings my bell
gym class is in half hour
i like that she rocks
those converse and cute tops
but she doesn't give a damn about me

He sighed and scratched out Y/N's name. It was the last thing he wanted to do but he had to.
He scratched out the converse, thinking it would be too obvious that the song was about Y/N.
He only had three days to write this... how was he going to make it? He tapped his pencil on the notepad, searching his brain for ideas.
Only one came.
He picked up his phone and texted Y/N asking her for name ideas.
At first she suggested some dorky name Bartholomew. But later she came up with a cute name.
He wrote it over top of hers and read over the lyrics. Noel rhymed with bell, it was perfect.
After about ten minutes, he was stuck again.
So far he had:

her name is noel
i've had some dreams about her
you may even say she rings my bell
gym class is in half an hour
i like that she rocks
those ..... and cute tops
but she doesn't give a damn about me
no she doesn't give a damn about me
because i'm only a teenage rockstar, baby

He shook his head and scratched out some more lyrics.
He couldn't make this song too closely related to Y/N or else she would get suspicious. He changed some parts, hoping it wouldn't be too obvious that it was about Y/N.
After that his notepad looked like this:

her name is noel
i've had dreams about her
she can ring my bell
gym class is in half an hour
oh she really rocks
those sneakers and cute tops
but she doesn't know who i am
and she doesn't give a damn about me
cause i'm just a teenage dirtbag, baby
i'm just a teenage dirtbag, baby
why don't we listen to HIM in my van, baby?

He wanted to rip out the entire page. This song had to be perfect. It was for Y/N after all.
He leaned forward to cross out some more lyrics when suddenly there was a knock on his door. He got up from the floor, place his note pad on the floor and made his way over to his door.
When he opened it, he was met with his dad. "Uhh hi?" he said.
"Hello, Rodrick," his father replied. "What are you up to?"
Rodrick shrugged. "Just writing a song."
His dad nodded. "Cool, cool. Hey, wanna do something? You know, maybe we could have a family game night with the whole family?"
"Not really," Rodrick replied nonchalantly. His dad and nodded and went to turn around. Suddenly, Rodrick got an idea. "Hey."
His dad stopped in his tracks and faced him. "Yeah?"
Rodrick paused, wondering how he could word this. "Do you have any advice?" he asked.
His dad's eyes shifted from left to right. "About what?"
"Umm," Rodrick scratched the back of his neck. "I— well about— you know— I— girls."
His dad gave him a small smile and clasped a hand on his shoulder. Rodrick tried not to pull away from his dad and let him lead the both of them up the stairs into his room.
When they arrived to the top, his dad let his hand fall by his side and his face screwed up in disgust. "What's that smell?" he asked.
Rodrick shrugged and made his way over to his bed. He sat down and pulled the note pad into his lap. He patted the spot on the bed next to him, signalling his dad over. His dad slowly crept over, eyeing the room with a look of utter repulsion on his face.
When he took his seat and faced his son, Rodrick was struggling to put together his sentence. "So, you see there's this girl, right? And I wanna make an impression on her so I thought since Löded Diper has a gig on Halloween, I would write a new song and the band and I would play it for her."
His dad nodded slowly. "Can I see what you have written so far?" he asked.
Rodrick handed him the note pad. "Here."
His dad's eyes went back and forth as he read over every line. When he was done, he handed it back to Rodrick. "So.... who's Noel?"
"That's not— that name is just a cover up," Rodrick replied.
"A cover up for what?" his father asked.
"For who it's actually about. The girl that the song is about will be at the contest and I don't want her knowing that it's about just in case she feels uncomfortable by it," Rodrick explained.
"Would this girl happen to be named Y/N L/N?" his dad asked.
Rodrick nodded slowly.
"So why is it you needed my advice on?" his dad asked.
"Well, how did you ask mom out?" asked Rodrick. "How am I supposed to know what to do?"
His dad laughed. "You don't. I never did."
"That's not really helping, dad," Rodrick muttered.
"Right, sorry," his dad cleared his throat and faced Rodrick, face suddenly serious. "I never knew what I was supposed to do because I, like you, was afraid that she wouldn't have those feelings in return. I mean, look at your mother and look at me. Do you really think I was confident that she would like me? Anyway, that's not the point. The point is that I didn't do anything crazy to impress her. Because she liked me regardless of any major changes I made. I didn't need to set off fireworks in the classroom or dress cool because she liked me for who I was. Understand?"
Rodrick nodded. "So what should I do?"
"You're playing a song at the contest, right? A song about her?" his dad asked. Rodrick nodded. "Well don't stress about it. Because things will come to you naturally."
"But I need it to be perfect," Rodrick said. "It's for Y/N."
"Rodrick, Y/N is going to like it. She'll think it's perfect because that's the person she is. She appreciates things," said his dad.
Rodrick sighed. "Yeah. I know. But I want it to be special because she's special."
His dad patted his shoulder. "It'll be great Rodrick. Try not to stress about it and you'll be fine. Y/N is your muse. I think that'll mean enough to her."
And with that his dad left the room.
Rodrick stared at his notepad. It's for Y/N. It's for Y/N. It's for Y/N. It's for Y/N.
He thought back to his father's words and felt himself smile. And soon enough, he was writing lyrics as if he were a genius poet who was writing for their lover.
After almost and hour, Rodrick had completed his song. He smiled and read over the lines, his thoughts filled with Y/N his muse.

Author's note: sooo let's pretend that teenage dirtbag was never written by wheatus. i was planning on writing my song for this fic but i thought teenage dirtbag fit rodrick's feelings better so yk. anyway, i hope you're enjoying this story so far, it will get better as you read it, i promise. if you're still reading this, i appreciate you!