Chapter Ninety-Two: Wedding

Rodrick and the rest of Löded Diper had spent the last few days of Christmas break practicing for Mrs. L/N and Scott's wedding.

Although the band had requested to play more upbeat songs —songs that were more their style— Rodrick refused. He told them that he was intent on sticking to the list of songs Scott and Y/N's mother had done up for them. The band wasn't too happy about that.

"These are all old classic rock songs," Lexi stated as she, Ben and Barry went over the list.

"Yeah, it's what they want us to play," Rodrick said, crossing his arms. "They're all great songs."

"But can't we play something other than this?" Ben asked. "Sure, they're great but we should also play something a little more Löded Diper."

"There's going to be older people there. We have to play stuff they'll like," Rodrick said. "If we play our own songs, we'll probably freak them out."

"You've never cared about freaking people out with our music before," said Barry.

"That's because this is different," Rodrick told him as if he were stating the obvious. "This is for Y/N's parents who both treat me like family. I feel like in order to show how thankful I am, we should make their wedding perfect. You might not like it but just imagine the look on Y/N's face when she sees how happy her parents are."

Lexi gave him a genuine smile which scared him. He had never seen Lexi give him a real smile.

"For the first time in my life, I want to do what Rodrick wants to," she said. "I think it'll make Y/N happy so we should do it." She faced Ben and Barry who were hesitant to answer. She tilted her head to the side and lifted a brow.

Ben immediately started to nod. "Yes, I— I think Y/N would really like it. I think we should do it," he blurted.

Then Lexi, Rodrick and Ben turned to Barry.

He folded his arms across his chest. "You know, I don't really want to be involved in anything that has to do with relationships since it makes me think of—"

"Oh, shut up, Barry," Lexi snapped. "It was your fault."

"Besides, Trista's not your girlfriend anymore so it's time to stop mopping around," said Rodrick. "And Y/N is still mine so I need your help to do this one thing." 

Barry pursed his lips. "Fine. But can you at least try to convince Y/N's parents to let us play something good?"

"I was talking to Scott last night over dinner and he said that closer to the end of the wedding, we could play one of our songs," Rodrick told them. "And since he likes MCR, he wants us to play 'To the End' and 'Helena'."

"Oh, I love 'Helena'," Lexi said with a sigh.

"Scott's a cool guy," said Ben.

"Yeah, I know. Anyway, we need to practice these few songs," Rodrick told them as he seated himself behind his drum set. "The wedding is only a few days away."

They practiced for several hours that day, going over all of the songs on the list along with the extra few Scott was letting them play.

By the time they were done, it was past dinner time.

Mrs. Heffley had checked in and asked if any of them wanted to stay for supper but they all politely declined and left.

Rodrick ate a quick dinner with his family before he went up into his room to brainstorm new lyrics for his songs.

He stayed up late, the words just seemingly flowed from his mind. It was the most he had ever written in his life. He knew if he stopped then, he'd probably never get that feeling again.