Chapter Fifty-Six: Announcements

Y/N sat on her bed, doing some homework while listening to the HIM record that Rodrick had gotten her. It was a few days after the talent show and Rodrick was buzzing with happiness. Y/N was happy to see him happy. She was also happy that Rodrick and Greg were slowly getting closer again.

She checked the time and realized it was getting late. She began packing up her school stuff so she could get ready for bed. As she was zipping up her pencil case, she heard a knock on window. She jumped out of her skin and looked at the window. No one was there. She furrowed her brows and slowly crept towards it. She looked through the glass to see Rodrick hanging from a tree.

"What the hell," she mumbled as she opened the window. She poked her head out and he waved at her. "What are you doing?"

"I wanted to hang out with you," he said. He swung himself onto the branch and cautiously crawled over to her.

"Rodrick, it's late," she told him.

"I know that's why I didn't use the front door," he said, smiling.

Y/N sighed. "Get in here." He put his foot on her windowsill and slowly climbed into her room. Once he was inside, Y/N closed the window. "Rodrick, it's really late. We can hang out—"

Suddenly, Y/N heard footsteps coming up the stairs. She grabbed Rodrick's shirt collar and pulled him towards her closet. She opened the door and looked at him.

"You're making me hide in the closet? Really?" he asked. He playfully scoffed. "And I thought you supported me."

"Just get in," she told him.

"Yes, ma'am," he replied before going into her closet and sitting down. She closed the door and quickly made her way over to her bed.

Just then, there was a knock on Y/N's door. "Come in," she said.

The door opened and her mom stepped inside. She sat on Y/N's bed and gave her a serious look. "Y/N," she said. "I need to talk to you about something."

"What is it?" Y/N asked, her eyes flickering over at the closet nervously.

"So you know how Scott and I are dating, right?" she said. Y/N nodded, still glancing at the closet door. "Well, he proposed to me last night."

Y/N's eyes went wide and she looked at her mother. "Really?" she asked. Her mother nodded.

"And I haven't said yes. I told him that I needed to discuss it with you before I said anything," her mother explained.

"So... you're, like, asking for my blessing?" Y/N asked. Her mother nodded. "Mom, you don't need to do that."

"But I feel as though I have to. I'm not the only one living in this house and I want you to be comfortable," her mother told her.

"Mom, he makes you happy. And he's a good guy, you don't need to ask for my 'permission'," Y/N said.

Her mom sighed. "I just want you to be happy too."

Y/N hugged her mom. "I am happy."

Her mother pulled away and kissed Y/N's forehead. Then she looked at the closet. "Okay, you can come out now, Rodrick."

Y/N furrowed her brows. "He's not in there," she said.

"You can't lie to me. I'm your mother. Come on, Rodrick," her mom said.

The closet door opened to reveal Rodrick sitting down on the floor. He waved. "Hi, Mrs. L/N." He stood up and sat on the other side of Y/N.

"Does your mom know you're here?" asked Y/N's mom. Rodrick slowly shook his head.