Chapter Thirty-Nine: Apology

It was the second week of school and Y/N was having trouble adapting to the fact that Rodrick and Heather were together. She watched as they entered the cafeteria together. He went to follow her at her table but she waved him away. He walked over to their table and sat beside Y/N.

Lexi glared at Rodrick when he sat down. Ben also gave him an indifferent look. Him and Rodrick weren't spending as much time with each other due to the fact that Heather was completely taking over Rodrick's life.

"So, dude, did you hear about the talent show or were you two busy swapping spit with Regina George?" Ben asked as he folded his arms.

"Yeah, I heard about it," Rodrick said. "We should practice for it, since we haven't really had time—"

"We haven't had time because you're so busy with Heather," Ben told him.

"I know, I know," Rodrick muttered. "Look, we'll practice today. And maybe Y/N and Lexi can come over so we can all hang out?" He looked to Y/N and awaited her reaction.

She just shrugged. "Yeah, I guess."

He nodded slowly. What was he getting himself into? "Cool," he said. "So have you guys figured out what song we should play?"

"We're thinking of Explöded Diper," Barry replied.

"Unless you want to change it because you're worried your little girlfriend will think less of you," Ben said.

Rodrick scoffed. "Dude, it's fine, we can do that one. It won't matter because she won't even show up anyway."

Y/N and the others exchanged a glance.

Rodrick looked at them. "What?" he asked.

"Nothing," they said in unison.

Rodrick nodded. "So... practice today?" he asked.

"Yep," said Ben.

"Sounds good," Barry replied.

"Y/N? Lexi? You two coming to watch?" asked Rodrick.

"Yeah, sure," Lexi said as she took a bite of her lunch.

"Yeah, I'll go," Y/N muttered. She let her eyes wander around the cafeteria until they landed on Heather who was sitting beside Brad. Y/N furrowed her brows at the way Heather was touching him. She was doing the same thing she did to Rodrick that day she walked over to their cafeteria table. Y/N's eyes carefully trained on Heather's face. Why was she acting this way with Brad when she should be hanging out Rodrick, her boyfriend?

"You okay?" Y/N looked away and turned to the person beside her. Rodrick looked at her with concern.

"Yeah," she replied quietly.

———————At Rodrick's For Practice————

Mrs. Heffley was happy to see everyone when they walked through the front door. She even offered to make them some snacks but Rodrick told her it was fine.

They all made their way to the garage. Rodrick, Ben and Barry all set up their instruments and did a few warm-ups while Lexi and Y/N sat on the beanbag chair next Rodrick's drum set. They practiced a few of their own songs and covered some others. Y/N observed how happy they all looked playing together and she realized that her friends haven't looked that happy ever since Rodrick and Heather got together.

They stopped playing when the song they did came to an end. All of them were sweating. Ben placed his guitar into its case and walked over to Y/N and Lexi. "Scoot over," he told them breathlessly. Y/N and Lexi made room and he squeezed himself in between them, resting his head on Lexi's shoulder.