Chapter Eighty-Four: Electric Love

The night of the Christmas concert came around and Y/N still wasn't attending school.

Rodrick was pretty upset when Y/N wasn't in school that day. He had messaged her and learnt that she was feeling much better but was busy with helping her mother prepare for the wedding. She did tell him that there was a possibility she would make it to the concert. This filled him with hope.

But that hope was quickly deflated when he arrived at the auditorium for the concert after school and saw that Y/N wasn't among any of the many guests.

He nervously picked at a hangnail on his finger as he poked his head out of the curtain. His eyes scanned every inch of the auditorium. There was no sign of Y/N. Or her mother. Or even Scott.

His heart sank. Y/N really wasn't coming after all.

"Rodrick." He spun around to see Lexi, her guitar slung across her chest. "We're about to start."

"But Y/N's not here," he said quietly.

Lexi shoved him aside and peeled back the curtain. Her eyes searched the entire auditorium. When she stepped back, she gave him a saddened frown. "Oh, man... I'm really sorry. I know you probably don't want to, but we have to go on. Whether she shows up or not."

He nodded slowly. "I know," he mumbled.

"But, hey, she might be on her way as we speak," said Lexi as she gave him a reassuring smile. "Don't worry, Rodrick, she'll make it." And with that, she spun on her heel and walked over to Ben and Barry.

Rodrick threw his head back and closed his eyes, letting out a soft, defeated sigh. As much as he wanted to believe Lexi, he knew Y/N wasn't going to make it.

He shook his head before slowly making his way over to his friends. He sat behind the school drum kit and pulled out his own sticks which he brought from home.

As he adjusted his grip, he listened to Heather who was in front of the curtain, speaking to the crowd.

"For our next act, we will be having our school's amazing rock band play a holiday favourite!" Heather exclaimed. "Everyone, welcome Löded Diper and their cover of 'Jingle Bell Rock'!"

The curtains drew back to reveal the dozens and dozens of people all applauding them.

Heather turned to them and flashed them an encouraging grin while sticking up both her thumbs. Then she hurried off the stage to give them the spotlight.

As they began to play, the lights which shone on them alternated between green and red. They changed their flash with each beat of Rodrick's drum.

While he played, Rodrick kept his eyes glued to the drums. He couldn't bare to look at the audience knowing that Y/N wasn't there.

Rodrick lost himself in somewhat of a trance as he played. He could hear Ben, Lexi and Barry sing while strumming away at their instruments but he wasn't paying the slightest bit of attention. He couldn't even focus on his drumming. He just zoned out. His mind was completely blank.

Y/N was supposed to be there, watching him. He was supposed to be looking at her while he played. She was supposed to listen to the song he wrote just for her.

A quiet sigh escaped his lips as he tried his hardest to keep the beat joyous even though he felt anything but.

Meanwhile, at the L/N residence, Y/N was running around the house like a maniac.

"We're late!" she exclaimed as she did her tenth lap around the main floor. She clapped her hands and Lee chased after her, letting out a series of squeaky barks.