Chapter Twenty-Seven: Confessions

Rodrick waited for Y/N at her locker. He looked at the decorations around his school. There was hearts and cupids everywhere. It made Rodrick sick.

The bell rang, dismissing school. Everyone flooded the locker area with their partners, all of them sharing a special moment. He rolled his eyes. It was all disgusting. He watched as the couples exchanged gifts with one another. It was all so stupid. He hated Valentine's Day so much. Stupid, stupid, stu—

He stopped himself as Y/N began making her way to the locker area. She was walking beside a girl he had never seen before, pointing out things to her. She had that kind, welcoming smile on her face. The smile that Rodrick liked so much. Without knowing it, he felt a smile creep onto his face too. His eyes shifted to her hair which was covered in heart-shaped confetti. Although he hated Valentine's Day so much, Y/N was the one person who could make it the tiniest bit tolerable.

"Hi," she said as she walked up to him.

"Hi," he replied. He nodded towards the girl Y/N was with. The girl had started going through one of the lockers, Rodrick assumed it was hers. "Who's that?"

"That's Amanda," Y/N replied as she put away her books. "She just moved here. I was showing her around."

Rodrick nodded and took Y/N's backpack off her shoulders so she could put on her coat. "Thanks," she said with a smile.

"Of course," he said. When she shut her locker, she turned to face him. Rodrick noticed the heart-shaped confetti in her hair again. "What happened here?" he asked as he pulled a piece out.

"Oh, someone brought a Valentine's confetti cannon to class," Y/N told him. She tried to swat away at the little pieces in her hair.

"Here," he said as he gently pulled them from her hair, letting them fall to the floor. Her cheeks went pink and she smiled.

"Thank you," she said.

"Of course," he replied. They gazed at each other fondly before they made their way out of school and hopped into Rodrick's van. He placed her back pack on the floor in front of her and began to pull out of the parking lot.

"So where are we going?" Y/N asked as she connected her phone to the van's bluetooth. She turned her music down so Rodrick could reply.

"Well I was thinking I can take you to the mall and we can go shopping. Then we can buy some food and go to this nice spot called Gilman's Hill," Rodrick told her. "It overlooks all of Plainview and so if we go there when it gets dark, the city lights will look so cool."

Y/N smiled. "That sounds perfect."

And with that, they drove to the mall. They did a round around the entire mall, going to stores they liked. Then they passed Claire's and Y/N gave Rodrick a smile.

He eyed her suspiciously. "What?" he asked.

She took his hand and dragged him into Claire's. "Y/N— what are you doing?" he asked. She shushed him and pulled him towards a stand that had girly headbands on it. "Ew, what is this shit?"

She took one of the pink sparkly head bands and put it on Rodrick's head. She turned him around so that he faced a mirror. "You look so pretty," Y/N told him.

"Thanks," he grumbled, taking off the head band and throwing it back onto the stand.

"What is this place?" Rodrick asked, glancing around at all the expensive accessories.

"This is girlhood," Y/N said. "Every girl I've met has gotten their ears pierced here." She showed him the piercings on her ears. (if you don't have any pretend you do for this fic) "I first got mine done here but then they got terribly infected."